Pecan pies and tassies do not appear on our menu very often. Nuts are ingredient non grata around here. I’m the only real fan, though the boys will begrudgingly eat them in cookies. These tassies are basically mini pecan pies with a cream cheese pastry crust. But there is one surprise ingredient. And I think that’s why I liked this recipe even better than my previous favorite.
Secret Mini Pecan Pies Ingredient
At my house, dates get the same bad rap as nuts. Since I was making these gems for company, I wasn’t phased a bit. The addition of dates adds a richness, a chewiness, and a fabulous nuance that doesn’t scream “dried fruit.” So I kept the recipe hush hush until my guests had a taste. It was after their glowing reviews that I revealed the unexpected twist.
My friend, Coleen, of The Redhead Baker, is celebrating the 5th anniversary of her blog. A group of bloggers is joining in on the festivities with an Instapot AND a $50 gift card giveaway! Perfect for holiday gifting and shopping!
a Rafflecopter giveaway
You Might Like:Print
Pecan Tassies AKA Mini Pecan Pies
Pecan tassies with an unexpected twist! Adapted from A Private Collection
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 48 tassies
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), at room temperature
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup chopped dates
- 48 half pecans, optional
- Powdered sugar to garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Blend together the pastry ingredients in a food processor. Chill while making the filling.
- Cream the butter and sugar together for the filling. Add the egg and vanilla. Finally mix in the pecans and dates.
- Roll the chilled pastry into small balls and add to two lightly greased mini muffin tin. Press down with your thumb and then press dough so it comes up the sides of the tin. Alternatively, use a wooden tamper to form the shells.
- Fill each unbaked pastry shell with the pecan date mixture.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, adding a half pecan about halfway through baking time.
- Cool tarts before removing from the tray. Dust with powdered sugar to garnish, if desired.
- Salted Caramel Affogato Parfaits by The Redhead Baker
- Triple C Coffee Cake by Desserts Required
- Slow Cooker Cranberry Barbecue Turkey Meatballs by All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
- My Favorite Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- The Best Way to Juice a Pomegranate by Hand by Mother Would Know
- Cherry Berry Mojito by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks