Pecan Sandies are a popular shortbread cookie, made by the Keebler company. This homemade Pecan Sandies is a recreation of a childhood favorite! Knowing my sister ate 3 for breakfast makes me think I hit the mark!
Copycat Pecan Sandies Cookies
I remember those rare occasions when my mom would give in and buy some store bought Pecan Sandies from our nearby Hy-Vee grocery store. They were rectangular, crumbly and made my mouth water just by picking up the package.
I spent a while browsing recipes on the Internet, looking to create a similar experience in my own kitchen. This copycat pecan sandies cookie recipe was tasty, but not the same cookies from my sweet memories.
Of course, I used to eat cherry pie filling from the can and other not so gourmet treats, so I’m not so certain those pecan sandies from my past were as noteworthy as I recalled.
A Denver Reunion with my Sisters
I packed up a box of caramels, truffles and these nutty shortbread cookies to share with my three sisters who were gathering in Denver for a pre-Christmas visit with my parents. For the first time in ages, I had to sit on my suitcase to get it to zip.
Darn fashion sense, I just had to pack those cute boots. Thank goodness, no cookies or candies were hurt in the process. I figured the candies would disappear first, but Maddy, our hostess and youngest sister, popped a pecan sandies in her mouth, then another. Then Mary joined in.
Katie, the clean eater of my siblings, was more into doing yoga adjustments on my sore back than munching on cookies, so she was forgiven for being fit and muscular and immune to sweets. I’d say these were a hit. If you’re a pecan lover, I hope you’ll give this homemade pecan sandies cookies recipe a try.
Do you have a favorite treat from your childhood?
A Couple of Things to Help You Make This Pecan Sandies Recipe:
- 2 cups flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 12 tablespoons butter (1 1/2 sticks), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 teaspoons water
- 1 1/4 cups pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Pecan halves, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 325°. Line baking sheets with parchment
- Whisk the flour, salt, and baking soda in a bowl till well combined. Set aside.
- Put the butter and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat on medium about 3 minutes, till light and fluffy. Add the egg, vanilla, and water and beat until incorporated, about 1 minute (don't worry if the mixture looks curdled).
- Slowly mix in the flour till combined, then the pecans.
- Scoop out 1-inch balls and place them the prepared baking sheets. Flatten them with the palm of your hand and top with a pecan half, if desired.
- Bake for 20 minutes, rotating pan at the halfway mark if the cookies are browning unevenly.
- Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
Serving Size:2 cookies
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 195 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 31mg Sodium: 103mg Carbohydrates: 17g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 6g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g