I spied this soda bread recipe in an old North Dakota cookbook that belonged to my aunt. With a touch of sweetness, this Sunflower Whole Wheat Bread is perfect smeared with butter and jam.
Sunflower Whole Wheat Bread
We spent a week in Ireland when the kids were little. They loved exploring castles (Nick was enthralled with “murder holes”) and we all appreciated the kind and jovial residents. We had a little fender bender when trying to maneuver a rather narrow hotel entrance in Kilkenny, and when returning the car at the airport, Bill was reassured that it was “not a hangable offense.” Plus it cost nearly nothing to repair. Gotta love that.
Now where was I going with this? Oh, yeah, back to soda bread. I must have eaten a different variety of Irish brown bread once, if not twice, a day. Plain or with Irish butter, I enjoyed every iteration of this classic Irish loaf. I’m always on the lookout for hearty, whole wheat soda breads like this yummy Sunflower Whole Wheat Bread. And when you finish this loaf, why not bake up this healthier whole wheat banana bread. Why not feel virtuous while you’re enjoying a slice of homemade bread??
I have admitted my weakness for grainy, seedy breads. This month’s Twelve Loaves theme was “Seeds,” so adding a handful of sunflower seeds to a soda bread sounded heavenly to me! And, believe it or not, Bill did not even notice the extra crunch and ate a big slab himself. He is not a fan of nuts or seeds so I called it “whole wheat bread,” and gave him a small sample to taste. After an “mmmm, that’s good,” I cut him a thick slice to eat along with his dinner. I call that a win!
#TwelveLoaves is a monthly bread baking party created by Lora from Cake Duchess and runs smoothly with the help of Heather of girlichef, and the rest of our fabulous bakers.
Our host this month is Lora from Cake Duchess and our theme is Seeds. For more bread recipes, visit the #TwelveLoaves Pinterest board, or check out last month’s selection of #TwelveLoaves Malt Breads!
- Anadama Bread from Cake Duchess
- Checkerboard Tangzhong Rolls from Karen’s Kitchen Stories
- Dusle Pull Apart Rolls with Chia, Flax and Sesame Seeds from Cheap Ethnic Eatz
- Five-Seed Loaves from blackberry eating in late september
- Molasses Multi-Seed Bread from A Baker’s House
- Poppy Seed Strudel from The Bread She Bakes
- Savory Seeded Quick Bread from A Shaggy Dough Story
- Sunflower Whole Wheat Bread from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
For more bread recipes, visit the #TwelveLoaves Pinterest board, or check out last month’s selection of #TwelveLoaves Malt Breads!
If you’d like to bake along with us this month, share your Seed Bread using the hashtag #TwelveLoaves!Print
Sunflower Whole Wheat Bread
A whole wheat soda bread with some extra crunch from sunflower seeds.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 loaf
- Category: Bread, Quick Bread
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick oats
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, plus more to sprinkle on top of loaf, if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a 9 x 5 loaf pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the flours, oats, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir in the buttermilk and egg just till combined. Mix in sunflower seeds.
- Pour into prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle top with a few more sunflower seeds, if desired.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes, then remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
Inspired by a recipe in The Prairie Collection Cookbook.