Lemon Blueberry Muffin Bread
When your taste-tester girlfriends cannot wait for a recipe to get shared on the blog, you know it’s a winner. This dense, berry-packed Lemon Blueberry Muffin Bread was a major hit with all my friends.
Lemon Blueberry Bread focuses on a classic pairing and every bite of this loaf is moist, tender with sweet bursts of blueberries in every bite.
Why You Must Make
- If you can find beautiful plump blueberries, this loaf is a delicious way to use them
- Quick bread freezes beautifully, so make an extra to store in your freezer.
- The speedier turnaround time makes bread like this blueberry quick bread perfect to eat any time of day!
- It’s perfect for breakfast, brunch, dessert, or a tasty snack with a cup of milk, tea, or coffee!
For mid-winter, I was both thrilled and a bit surprised to find sweet and plump blueberries at the market. I thought of making some blueberry muffins, but it’s even easier baking up all the batter in a single loaf pan.
- Make sure your leavening is fresh. Baking powder is not used as often as baking soda and often expires while sitting in your kitchen cabinet.
- Tossing the blueberries in flour helps them stay dispersed in the batter. It works for chocolate chips, too.
- Do not overmix the batter. When you add the liquids to the dry ingredients, mix until just combined to avoid tunnels in the baked loaf.
- Fill your loaf pan about 2/3 full so the batter has room to rise.
- Test to see if your bread is done about 5 minutes before you expect the loaf to be fully baked. When you insert a toothpick in the middle there should be either a few moist or no crumbs on it. If there is batter on the toothpick, continue baking and recheck in 5 or 10 minutes.
Frequently Asked Questions
Quick bread uses baking soda, baking powder, or a combination as its leavening. No messing with yeast, kneading, or proofing (letting rest in a warm spot to rise) is needed.
Use a toothpick and insert it into the middle of the loaf or into a crack on the surface. If it comes out clean, your loaf is done. If you see batter, add more baking time and recheck until thoroughly baked.
It can be eaten for breakfast, brunch, a snack, or dessert. A sweet quick bread is synonymous with a loaf cake, but calling it bread makes it easier to rationalize having it for breakfast!
Look at all sides of the package for soft spots, bruises or signs of deterioration. They should be plump and firm with a deep blue color. The “bloom” or grayish silver coating on blueberries is a sign of freshness, so that’s a good thing!
You May Also Like:
- Cherry and Almond Quick Bread from Foodie Crush
- Zucchini Bread
- Blueberry Streusel Bars
- Lemon Poppyseed Loaf Cake
- Blueberry Poppyseed Bread
- More of the Best Quick Bread Recipes
Stay in touch through social media @ Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Don’t forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes! And if you love the results, please give it a 5-star rating in the recipe card. Note: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit my Amazon Store for my favorite products.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 stick butter (1/2 cup), at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (I used full fat)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line the bottom of a loaf pan with a rectangle of parchment paper, then spray the pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add the blueberries and lemon zest and toss to combine.
- Mix the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the yogurt then the dry ingredients, mixing gently until incorporated.
- Scrape the thick batter into your prepared loaf pan and bake for 1 hour 10 minutes, until golden brown or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before carefully removing loaf to cooling rack.
Make sure to check if your baking powder is fresh. It typically expires before you use it all.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 240Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 52mgSodium: 229mgCarbohydrates: 37gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 4g