I gave this Summer Farro Salad a Southwest twist with corn sliced off the cob, avocado, cotija, cilantro and a lime vinaigrette.
Summer Farro Salad
I fell for farro with my first bite. Nutty with a chewy texture, this ancient form of wheat originated in Egypt but found it’s the way to popularity in the states via Italy.
Just follow the package instructions to cook (some varieties require an overnight soaking), then add it to your soup, salad or even dessert. I love it with fresh, seasonal vegetables, like in this summer farro salad.
How to Make a Summer Farro Salad
With weeks of summer still remaining, I felt the need to savor all the fresh vegetables still available locally. We love the gourmet sweet corn at nearby Johnny’s Market, so I steamed it for just a minute and sliced it right off the cob.
Going with a Southwest vibe, I added avocados, peppers, tomatoes, small cubes of Cotija cheese to this farro salad before finishing it off with a sprinkling of minced cilantro. Dressed in a light lime vinaigrette, this was one heavenly salad. I didn’t even offer to share!
Use whatever fresh summer produce you have available. If you use avocados, add them right before serving so they don’t oxidize or brown.
Cook your farro in salted water so it has the best flavor. Salt is a flavor enhancer. If you go out and purchase some farro, make sure to try this Rustic Farro Soup, too!
- 1 1/2 cups farro, cooked according to package instructions
- 1/4 cup minced red onion
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and diced
- 1 cup cooked fresh corn, cut off the cob
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/2 container of grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup cubed Cotija cheese
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro, optional
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Combine all salad ingredients into large bowl except for avocados and cilantro. Set aside.
- Make dressing by whisking together lime juice, salt, pepper and honey. Drizzle in olive oil slowly while whisking continuously to emulsify.
- Toss salad with dressing. Add cilantro, if using, and mix to combine. Add avocado and very gently toss to avoid bruising.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 314 Total Fat: 22g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 15mg Sodium: 479mg Carbohydrates: 25g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 7g