Gruyere spinach strata is the perfect meatless brunch recipe! This make-ahead casserole is easy to make and it tastes fantastic. I entertained some friends one Sunday morning last month. Brunch fare was in order.was my favorite.
This cheesy breakfast casserole was a hit along with rest of the brunch food!
Gruyere Spinach Strata
I adore having our friends over and cooking for them. Bill and I are part of a small dinner club and it was our turn to host.
We gathered for brunch and I warned them that the recipes I was serving were not tried and true. Thankfully, every single dish was a hit.
Bill loved the mushroom and chicken crepes, Mike and Mary Ann were fans of the Strawberry Cheesecake Trifle, John fell hard for my coconut cream pie, Bill’s grilled bacon and the chicken apple sausage. Tops in my book was this Gruyere Spinach Strata!
A Simple Make-Ahead Casserole Recipe
If you’re ever serving brunch to a crowd, whether it be overnight guests or family gathering for the holidays, an easy, make-ahead dish is imperative. And one that is absolutely scrumptious is just as important.
Defrost your spinach, grate the cheese, and cube the bread ahead of time. The night before, you can mix up the custard place all the other ingredients in a casserole dish and pour the eggy mixture onto the bread. Park it in the fridge and bring it out for an hour or so before baking to take the chill off.
You will be delighted with the results! Warm and cheesy comfort food. You can’t beat that.
A couple of things to help you make the best Gruyere spinach strata recipe:
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- A few gratings of fresh nutmeg
- 1 (10-oz) package frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 8 cups cubed French or Italian bread
- 6 ounces coarsely grated Gruyère
- 2 ounces grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 9 eggs
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- Cook the onion in the butter till soft. Add ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper and nutmeg and cook, stirring, for about a minute. Mix in spinach, then remove from heat.
- Spread about a third of the bread cubes in a buttered 9 x 13 dish and top evenly with a third of spinach mixture. Sprinkle with a third of each cheese. Repeat with two more layers of each component.
- Whisk together milk, eggs, mustard, and remaining ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and pour over strata. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Let strata sit at room temperature about a half hour before baking.
- Bake uncovered till golden, and cooked through, 45 to 55 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 578Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 304mgSodium: 976mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 4gSugar: 9gProtein: 31g
More Brunch Recipes You’ll Love:
- Asiago Cheese and Italian Sausage Strata from Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen
- Ham and Mushroom Strata from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Artichoke and Goat Cheese Strata from Eats Well With Others
- Sausage Croissant French Toast from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Cheesy Overnight Italian Strata from The Wanderlust Kitchen