Easy Bacon and Egg Strata
This Easy Bacon and Egg Strata is ideal for those overnight holiday guests. With a make-ahead option, it allows for seamless entertaining. Your guests will fall in love with this recipe.
This Breakfast Casserole Recipe has been in my family for decades. I’m pretty sure my mom served it for brunch the day after my wedding! It’s simple, comforting, and delicious!
Easy Bacon and Egg Strata
My mom started serving this breakfast Bacon and Egg Strata casserole back in the ’80s. In fact, she baked up at least a double batch for a brunch the day after my wedding. Bill and I were off to Charleston on our honeymoon, but my family and my in-laws continued the celebration without us.
Made with seasoned croutons, this bacon and egg strata is a breeze to throw together. Plus you can set this Bacon and Egg Strata up the night before and just pop it in the oven the next morning. Perfect when entertaining guests or for a holiday breakfast or brunch. For a healthier alternative, this Baked Denver Omelet is wonderful for company, too.
Best Bacon and Egg Casserole
This Bacon and Egg Strata is a ridiculously easy recipe. I layered croutons, cheese, and diced red bell pepper in a casserole dish, then poured a mixture of eggs, milk, and a wee bit of mustard over the top and allowed it to soak in. Before baking, I sprinkled a generous amount of crumbled bacon over the eggy bread. You could certainly add some sauteed onions or mushrooms or even top with crumbled sausage instead of bacon. Who doesn’t love an Easy Breakfast Casserole????
For the cheese, I selected an aged Cheddar which worked perfectly. Rich and tangy with a touch of sweetness, its full flavor played well with the other ingredients. Use crumbled and drained breakfast sausage instead of bacon. Feel free to make this bacon and egg casserole your own; I know you’ll be a fan!
More Breakfast Recipes for Sunday Brunch:
- Farmers’ Market Quiche from Saving Room for Dessert
- Spinach and Artichoke Quiche from The View from Great Island
- Eggs Benedict Strata from Taste and Tell
- Gruyere Spinach Casserole
- Raspberry Mascarpone French Toast Casserole
- Pistachio Coconut Granola
- Spinach and Mushroom Quiche
- Apple Ginger Coffee Cake
- Best Zucchini Bread Recipe
- Sun-dried Tomato and Spinach Quiche
- More Breakfast Recipes
You may need these supplies to make the Easy Bacon and Egg Strata recipe (affiliate links):
- 4 cups seasoned croutons (I used two 5-ounce packages of seasoned Texas toast croutons)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups crumbled cooked bacon
- Place croutons in a greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan.Then layer with cheese and red bell pepper. Whisk together the remaining ingredients except for the bacon. Pour over croutons and cheese.
- You may cover casserole and refrigerate overnight at this point or go ahead and bake immediately.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325º. Sprinkle the top with bacon. Bake for about 60 minutes or until puffed and set in the center. If you prepped early and chilled overnight, you might need to extend the cooking time up to 90 minutes.
You can easily make half a batch. Bake in an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 408Total Fat: 27gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 188mgSodium: 1012mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 26g