This Easy Bacon and Egg Strata is ideal for those overnight holiday guests. With a make-ahead option, it allows for seamless entertaining. You guests will fall in love with this recipe.
Easy Bacon and Egg Strata
My mom started serving this breakfast Bacon and Egg Strata casserole back in the ’80’s. In fact, she baked up at least a double batch for a brunch the day after my wedding. Bill and I were off to Charleston on our honeymoon, but my family and my in-laws continued the celebration without us.
Made with seasoned croutons, this bacon and egg strata is a breeze to throw together. Plus you can set this Bacon and Egg Strata up the night before and just pop it in the oven the next morning. Perfect when entertaining guests or for a holiday breakfast or brunch. For a healthier alternative, this Baked Denver Omelet is wonderful for company, too.
No Brainer Recipe
This Bacon and Egg Strata is a ridiculously easy recipe. I layered croutons, cheese and diced red bell pepper in a casserole dish, then poured a mixture of eggs, milk and a wee bit of mustard over the top and allowed it to soak in. Before baking, I sprinkled a generous amount of crumbled bacon over the eggy bread. You could certainly add some sauteed onions or mushrooms or even top with crumbled sausage instead of bacon. Who doesn’t love an Easy Breakfast Casserole????
For the cheese, I selected Kerrygold Skellig Sweet Cheddar which worked perfectly. Rich and tangy with a touch of sweetness, its full flavor played well with the other ingredients.
All Kerrygold cheeses are made from the milk of grass fed dairy cows residing in Ireland. Don’t you love that? Feel free to make this strata your own; I know you’ll be a fan!
More Breakfast Favorites:
- Raspberry Mascarpone French Toast Casserole
- Eggs Benedict Strata from Taste and Tell
- Pistachio Coconut Granola
- Artichoke and Goat Cheese Strata from Eats Well with Others
- Spinach and Mushroom Quiche
- Fireman’s Overnight Breakfast Casserole from Garnish with Lemon
- Apple Ginger Coffee Cake
- Apple Fritter Breakfast Casserole from Wonky Wonderful
- Zucchini Bread
- Spinach and Artichoke Quiche from The View from Great Island
- Sun-dried Tomato and Spinach Quiche
- Farmers’ Market Quiche from Saving Room for Dessert
You may need these supplies to make the Easy Bacon and Egg Strata recipe:Print
Easy Bacon and Egg Strata
A crowd pleasing make ahead breakfast or brunch entree.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 60 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast, Brunch
- Method: Mixing, Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 4 cups seasoned croutons (I used two 5-ounce packages of seasoned Texas toast croutons)
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cups crumbled cooked bacon
- Place croutons in a greased 9 x 13-inch baking pan.Then layer with cheese and red bell pepper. Whisk together the remaining ingredients except for the bacon. Pour over croutons and cheese.
- You may cover casserole and refrigerate overnight at this point or go ahead and bake immediately.
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 325º. Sprinkle the top with bacon. Bake for about 60 minutes or until puffed and set in the center. If you prepped early and chilled overnight, you might need to extend the cooking time up to 90 minutes.
You can easily make half a batch. Bake in an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan.
Disclosure: KerryGold supplied me with a variety of cheeses. I was not compensated for writing this post and the opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Kerrygold.