This scrumptious Key Lime Pie with Graham Cracker Crust is one blissful citrus dessert! Sweet, tart and creamy, each bite will make you swoon!
One of my favorite desserts, this Authentic Key Lime Pie Recipe does not disappoint! Transport yourself to the tropics when you taste this lip smacking pie!
Key Lime Pie
Once again, we’re a family divided. One of us does not like lime desserts. Lemon treats thrill his taste buds, but lime is another story. Yes, it IS annoying when I want to indulge in just a sliver of Key Lime Pie but the hubby has no interest in even a sliver. Thank goodness for girlfriends as I could easily lose my skinny chick status if this whole pie was tempting me hour after hour and day after day.
Welcome to Progressive Eats, our virtual version of a Progressive Dinner Party. This month we’re sharing Irish or Green recipes in anticipation of St. Patrick’s Day You’ll certainly find a delicious recipe to add to your repertoire! I’m delighted to be hosting the event this month. We have a full menu of dishes including appetizers, sides, an entree and desserts. You’ll certainly find a delicious recipe to add to your holiday table!
Tips for Making an Easy Key Lime Pie
A popular pie created in the 1800’s in Key West, this state pie of Florida was likely created after sweetened condensed milk became available to home bakers. Here are a few tips for making the best authentic Key lime pie!
- Use fresh or bottled Key lime juice if at all possible for the most authentic Key lime pie experience. Nellie & Joe’s Famous Key West Lime Juice is available in most supermarkets when Key limes are not in season.
- Of course, you can use fresh standard (Persian) limes in a pinch. The taste will be slightly different, but still delicious.
- Do not over mix the filling ingredients. You want the filling smooth, but without air bubbles. Making it the night before and leaving it overnight in the refrigerator allows any air bubbles to dissipate.
- Save your leftover egg whites for meringues or macaroons!
- Sweetened condensed milk is a must! It provides the perfect amount of sweetness to balance the acidity of the limes. It is a key ingredient for an authentic easy Key Lime Pie recipe.
- Also, a graham cracker crust is imperative in a Key lime pie recipe. Sturdy and sweet, it’s the perfect contrast to the citrus filling.
- Sweetened whipped cream is the best topping. It balances the tart filling perfectly. I like to pipe stars of cream around the perimeter and top those with thin slices of lime right before serving. You can also serve pie slices with a dollop of whipped cream.
Our St. Patrick’s Day Menu:
- Smoked Salmon Stuffed Baby Potatoes from The Redhead Baker
- Spinach Feta Rugelach from Mother Would Know
- Hot Cocoa with Baileys and Coconut Whipped Cream (Dairy-Free) from The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Spicy Lamb Cobbler from Spice Roots
- Irish Soda Biscuits with Caraway and Thyme from OMG! Yummy
- Bacon and Leek Irish Colcannon (Gluten-Free) from The Heritage Cook
- Cabbage with Bacon and Cream from All Roads Lead to the Kitchen
- Key Lime Pie with Graham Cracker Crust from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Irish Whiskey Cake from Creative Culinary
More Citrus Recipes You’ll Love:
- Key Lime Pie Magic Cake Recipe from Foodness Gracious
- Lemon Rolls from Love from the Oven
- Lime Curd from Crazy for Crust
- Strawberry Lemon Tart
- Margarita Cheesecake
- Lemon Layer Cake
- Raspberry Topped Lemon Souffles
- Lemon Scones
- Lemon Meringue Pie
- More Pie Recipes
Key Lime Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
Classic Key Lime Pie with a citrus filling nestled in a graham cracker crust.
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert, Pie
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Graham cracker crust:
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 5 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons fresh Key lime juice (may substitute standard lime juice)
- 2 teaspoons very fine lime zest
- 3/4 cup chilled heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons powdered sugar, sifted
- Lime slices, optional
- Lime zest, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Stir together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter in a bowl with a fork until combined well, then press mixture evenly onto bottom and up side of a 9-inch pie plate.
- Bake for 10 minutes and cool in pie plate on a rack. Leave oven on.
Make filling and bake pie:
- Whisk together condensed milk and yolks in a bowl until combined well. Add juice and zest and whisk until combined well .
- Pour filling into crust and bake in middle of oven 15 minutes. Cool pie completely on rack (filling will set as it cools), then chill, covered, at least 8 hours.
- Just before serving, beat cream with powdered sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer until it just holds stiff peaks. Serve pie topped with cream. Garnish with lime slices or zest if desired.
Classic Key Lime Pie adapted from Epicurious.