The whole family was gathering for dinner on Memorial Day. Bill and I went back and forth with dessert ideas till we both agreed on this luscious Mile High Lemon Meringue Pie.
Mile High Lemon Meringue Pie
If I were to guess what kind of dessert the hubby would rank second to chocolate, I’d have to say lemon. He swoons over lemon bars and tarts. Desserts like this luscious Strawberry Lemon Tart are right up his alley! When I realized I hadn’t baked up a lemon meringue pie in years, I quickly put it on our holiday menu. With two very picky palates in our household, this was a rare dessert that all five of us enjoyed. Let me tell you, that doesn’t happen very often!!
The BEST Lemon Pie Recipe
I’ve been using this Southern Living recipe for eons. The whole pie is baked for nearly a half hour so the meringue is perfectly cooked. Instead of just broiling it, as some recipes prefer, this method prevents you from eating undercooked egg whites. And though I just used four egg whites, you have the option of making a “Mile High” lemon meringue pie by increasing your whites to six. But my whites whipped up to perfection and made a gorgeous cloud atop the sweet-tart lemon filling.
Lemon Fans Unite
So if you’re looking for the perfect lemon meringue pie recipe, I’ve got you covered! This is the perfect dessert any time of year. Go ahead and treat the lemon lovers in your life to one marvelous pie! If you’re going to make a lemon pie, go BIG with this Mile High Lemon Meringue Pie!
More Lemon Recipes You’ll Love:
- Meyer Lemon Parfaits from Cravings of a Lunatic
- Lemon Layer Cake with Lemon Curd Filling from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Lemon Bar Cookie Cups from Barbara Bakes
- The Best Lemon Bars Recipe from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Outrageous Lemon Lovers Trifle from Melissa’s Southern Style Kitchen
Used in This Recipe:Print
Lemon Meringue Pie
A classic lemon meringue pie with a generous meringue topping!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 33 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 3 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Dessert, Pie
- Method: Baking, Whipping
- Cuisine: American
- 1 baked 9-inch pastry shell
For lemon filling:
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks (save the whites for the meringue!)
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice (from 3-4 lemons)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 4-6 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar (depending on number of egg whites used)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325º.
- Combine first three ingredients in saucepan; set aside.
- Combine yolks, water and juice, and stir into sugar mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly till mixture boils and thickens. Boil one minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in butter and zest. Pour into pastry shell.
- Beat whites and cream of tartar on high speed with electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add sugar, one tablespoon at a time, until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved, about 2-4 minutes. Add vanilla and beat well.
- Spread meringue over hot filling, making sure meringue covers all filling. Bake for 25-28 minutes.
Adapted from Southern Living
Tip of the Day:
To cut cleanly through a meringue topping for perfect slices, my mom taught me to use a knife dipped in hot water. You’ll be amazed how slick this trick works! Give it a try.