This Sun-dried Tomato and Spinach Quiche sure hit the spot when we needed a meatless meal for dinner. Bill was dropping not so subtle hints about making tuna casserole, so I was delighted that this egg and veggie pie was a home run.
This Spinach Quiche Recipe is a delightful addition to any meal of the day. Excellent for breakfast and brunch, but also a simple lunch or dinner!
Sun-dried Tomato and Spinach Quiche
When I was first married, the only seafood Bill would eat was canned tuna and canned salmon–in casserole recipes from his mom. I’m happy to say I’ve expanded his horizons and he now enjoys shrimp, salmon, crab and even the occasional halibut.
But when Lent rolls around, he gets a hankering for tuna casserole made with a can of cream of mushroom soup. This is the same casserole my mom OD’d my dad on when they were newlyweds. I actually don’t mind it, but I can’t handle the mega dose of sodium. So I pretend his repeated requests don’t register and figure out another meatless option. This loaded Mediterranean quiche was last week’s winner. I’ll make him his darn tuna casserole next Friday.
The base of this quiche is nothing special. Eggs, half and half and some seasonings are the usual suspects. I added some defrosted frozen chopped spinach, red bell pepper, sun-dried tomatoes and chunks of feta to push this to the next level. It made a magnificent Friday night meal, then a terrific weekend breakfast. I’m pretty sure this Spinach Quiche Recipe will become a regular on the Lent rotation! What is your favorite meatless meal??
More Terrific Egg Recipes from Some Blogger Friends:
As Easter approached, my mom would buy a couple of dozen eggs, pierce each end with a large needle and blow out the insides. We’d dye them and she’d hang them from a flowering branch in our living room. I think we ate loads of scrambled eggs on those days leading up to Easter. She needed this list!
- Smoky Deviled Bacon And Eggs from Taste And See
- Mini Frittata with Asparagus and Six Italian Cheeses from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Dark Chocolate Mousse from The Chef Next Door
- Quiche Maraichere
- Egg Muffins in Ham Cups
- Ham and Egg Sliders
- Smoked Salmon Deviled Eggs
- More Brunch Recipes
- 1 pastry crust, homemade or store-bought
- 1/2 red bell pepper, roasted, peeled and diced
- 5 ounces of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (half a 10-ounce box)
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, drained well and chopped
- 4 ounces cubed feta cheese
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup of half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried Italian herbs
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Line a 10 1/2 inch tart pan with a prepared or homemade pastry crust. Line with non-stick foil and top with dried beans or pie weights. Bake for 20 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for another 3-4 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
- Layer the crust with the red bell pepper, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes and feta. Whisk together eggs, then stir in half and half and seasonings until well blended. Gently pour egg mixture over the filling.
- Bake until puffed and golden brown, about 30 minutes or till the center is set. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Inspired by The Good Egg by Marie Simmons.