Is is sad to admit that I’d never eaten Meatball Subs till I worked on this post? My boys love to order these when they’re at a sub shop, so I knew they were big fans. Now I am, too!
Easy Italian Meatball Subs
I have always loved meatballs, so it was no surprise when I fell hard for these meatball subs topped with gooey, melted Provolone cheese. The large meatballs flavored with Italian seasonings were tasty on their own, but they truly shined served on a brioche bun with a simple marinara and cheese. I’d made Mozzarella Stuffed Meatballs, but
Tips for Making Meatloaf Subs
Meatball subs are a super easy dinner recipe that your family will request again and again. Here are a few tips for making them.
- For a lighter version, I served myself a mini version of these easy Italian meatball subs on small whole wheat rolls.
- For the rest of the family, I look for those lobster roll brioche buns that are sliced from the top down instead of horizontally. But traditional hot dog buns work fine, too.
- Mozzarella would be a delicious topper, as would any melty cheese you love. Feel free to put your cheese on first and let the hot meatballs do the melting for you.
- You could definitely use ground dark meat chicken or a meatloaf mix (beef, pork and veal) to make your meatballs. Or even purchase already made meatballs found in the frozen foods section of your market, though they may be smaller. Just pile on more!
- You can use jarred marinara or homemade. If I make marinara, I like to make a double batch and freeze half for later.
- Leftover spaghetti sauce would also work in a pinch instead of marinara.
I’m going to have to make these again when Nick is home for spring break. And we’ll invite big brother, Tom, over to enjoy them, too. I have a feeling they’ll love them as much as Bill and I did. And if you’re a fan of meatballs, scroll down to see all the terrific meatball recipes below.
These Instant Pot French Dip Sandwiches will also thrill your family, or for company, try these Flank Steak Roulades with Spinach, Mushrooms and Provolone. This Pot Roast with Mushrooms, Tomatoes and Red Wine is another winner!
More Meatball Recipes:
- Bacon Wrapped Cheesy Meatballs with Maple Balsamic Sauce from The Crumby Cupcake
- Cheesy Stuffed Pepperoni Pizza Meatballs from The Weekend Gourmet
- Crab Cake Mini Meatballs with Tartar Sauce from The Texan New Yorker
- Garlicky Shrimp Meatballs from Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Saucy Thai Meatballs from Brunch-n-Bites
- Slow Cooker Turkey Appetizer Jelly Meatballs from Noshing With The Nolands
- Stuffed Meatballs from The Freshman Cook
- Turkey Meatballs with Spinach and Goat Cheese from Our Good Life
- Russian Meatball Soup from A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
Main Dish Meatballs:
- All-Purpose Meatballs from Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Bourbon Baked Bean Meatballs from Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Cheesy Italian Meatball Sandwich from La Bella Vita Cucina
- Chicken Parmesan Meatball Casserole from Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- General Tso’s Chicken Meatballs from Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Grandma’s Italian Meatball Subs from Family Around The Table
- Hamballs from A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Kefta Mkaouara (Moroccan Meatballs Tagine) from Curious Cuisiniere
- Keftedakia (Greek-style Meatballs) from Tramplingrose
- Kofte-Style Lamb Meatballs in a Tomato-Pepper Sauce from Caroline’s Cooking
- Easy Italian Meatball Subs from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Moroccan Lamb Meatballs in Tomato Sauce from MyGourmetConnection
- Orecchiette and Meatball Skillet Dinner from Momma’s Meals
- Persian Lamb Meatballs from Food Lust People Love
- Portuguese Meatballs in Garlicky Wine Sauce from Family Foodie
- Slow Cooker Spanish Meatballs from The Chef Next Door
- Sriracha Sesame Turkey Meatballs from Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Swedish Meatballs (Frikadeller) from Feeding Big
- Sweet & Sour Freezer to Slow-Cooker Meatballs from Wholistic Woman
- Tajine-el-Khoukh (Algerian Stuffed Peaches) from Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Thai Meatball Lettuce Wraps from Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Thai Spaghetti and Meatballs from Kitchen Gidget
- Brownie Meatballs with Frosting Spaghetti from Pies and Plots
Plus Buffalo Chicken Meatballs and More Amazing Meatball Recipes
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
- 2 eggs, whisked slightly
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 sub rolls or hot dog buns
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- 8 slices Provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line baking sheet with foil and set aside (for easier clean up).
- In a mixing bowl, add all the meatball ingredients. Mix gently with your hands till well combined. Using a medium cookie scoop (about 2 tablespoons), scoop out rounds of meat and shape into balls. Place on baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or till cooked through.
- Warm marinara sauce and toast buns if desired. Add the meatballs to the warmed sauce.
- To make subs, spoon 3 meatballs and sauce onto buns. Top with cheese and return to oven for a couple minutes to melt the cheese. Serve immediately.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 430 Total Fat: 17g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 117mg Sodium: 938mg Carbohydrates: 35g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 7g Protein: 35g