Honey Lime Fruit Salad
Juicy, peak of the season fruit is tossed with honey, fresh lime juice, zest, and poppy seeds for this magnificent Honey Lime Fruit Salad! Super easy to make and perfect for picnics and potlucks. You’ll always bring home an empty bowl.
I’m always looking for some healthy fare at summer parties to balance out the yummy potato and pasta salads and juicy burgers. This seasonal Summer Fruit Salad always gets rave reviews!
Why You Must Make
It’s hot, it’s humid, it’s sultry. Who feels like eating after chasing the puppy (though she is darned cute) through the yard as she chomps on every hosta leaf she can get her teeth into? Not me.
- Having a light, sweet melange of dressed fruit in the fridge is the perfect remedy when you get hunger pangs.
- The bonus is that this is healthy and absolutely delicious!
- Select your favorite fruit which will vary depending on what’s in season. I chose some fresh berries, grapes, melon, peaches, cherries, and more, then tossed them in a sweet citrus salad dressing speckled with poppy seeds.
I would definitely gravitate to this rainbow-colored seasonal fruit salad at any gathering. This salad is perfect for picnics and barbecues in the summer, but just as splendid with fall and winter fruits when the weather changes. Here are some tips for how to make a fruit salad:
- PRO-Tip: the acidity of the lime juice prevents the fruits like peaches and bananas from browning. But it’s best practice to wait to add those ingredients until closer to the serving time for the freshest appearance.
- I’d recommend at least three different colored fruit as a minimum; any of your favorites will do. Colorful dishes are always more appealing. Note that this recipe easily scales down for a family meal.
- Leftovers are great for breakfast, and this combination of summer fruit makes a healthy dessert, too!
- Make sure to cut your fruit into bite-sized pieces, especially if there are children at the gathering. Grapes should be cut in half to minimize a choking hazard.
- PRO-Tip: You can prep most of this salad the day before you plan to serve it. Add all the fruit to the bowl, except the bananas and peaches which will brown or oxidize when exposed to the air. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.
- Make the salad dressing, and cover it with plastic wrap. Then all you have to do the next day is slice some bananas and peaches (or any fruit that will brown if sliced early) into the bowl, whisk and add the dressing, and gently toss.
Frequently Asked Questions
Use a variety of colors of seasonal fruit. Allow it to macerate in the fruit juices so all the flavors meld. Avoid fruit that browns like apples and bananas unless you add them right before serving. Cut the fruit into bite-sized pieces for easy eating.
Add those fruits right before serving. Make sure they’re covered with a citrus-based salad dressing as the acid in lemons, limes and even pineapple will help prevent browning. Note that pears, apples, bananas, and peaches are prone to oxidation.
You May Also Like
- Damn Good Fruit Salad from Self-Proclaimed Foodie
- Holiday Fruit Salad
- Ambrosia Salad
- Apple Cherry and Walnut Salad
- Plus all my Best Salad Recipes
Honey Lime Fruit Salad Recipe
A simple sweet, citrus salad dressing that's perfect for fruit.
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon lime zest
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 10 cups mixed fresh fruit, cut to bite-sized pieces
- Whisk together lime juice, honey, zest, vanilla and poppy seeds.
- Place fresh fruit in a large serving bowl. Pour dressing over fruit and toss gently.
- Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Recipe adapted from The Gathering Place B&B.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 152Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 4mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 3gSugar: 31gProtein: 1g
38 Comments on “Honey Lime Fruit Salad”
I have a similar recipe and you’ve reminded me to make it again (or try out your version). Love the colors!
Absolutely love everything about this salad! It taste so good and refreshing!
My favorite fruit salad!
This truly is the best side at any summer bbq!
This was really amazing! And so easy to put up, too!
It’s been so hot all I want is fruit and this couldnt have come at a better time! thanks
Fruit salad is my favorite kind of salad! This is delicious and perfect for those warm summer days!
My crew absolutely devoured this salad! The poppy seeds add such great flavor and crunch!
Such a refreshing delicious fruit salad
So refreshing and perfect for any summer day!
There is nothing like a good fruit salad. Yummy fruit with all of the work done for you. All you have to do is enjoy!
We just had two beautiful days but it won’t last for long so this fruit salad would be welcome.
I have been enjoying all the summer fruits. I have never thought of adding a sweet salad dressing to my fruit, it sounds yummy!
What a great way to enjoy all of the fruit right now. Such a beautiful salad!
What a colorful, refreshing-looking salad! Perfect for these hot days.
so perfect for these mercury-bursting hot temperature days of summer, Liz. I agree, who wants to be turning on any appliance to add to the heat right now. Sorry I’m so far behind in commenting; it’s been a rough spring and summer. I never seem to be able to catch up! Thank you for your understanding and the beautiful card that you sent! I appreciate your thoughtfulness so much, Liz!
Liz, I can’t get enough fruit salad this summer!!! I love this and love the poppy seeds!!! what a great idea!
What a sublime fruit salad, just what I’m craving on this hot, hot July day!