I’ve been baking these Buttermilk Bran Muffins for years. Tender and full of fiber, they’re a fabulous way to start the day!
Once touted a 6-week Bran Muffin Recipe or Refrigerator Bran Muffins, this same muffin batter could be stored in the refrigerator for up to a month and a half so fresh muffins could be baked up each morning!
Buttermilk Bran Muffins
I have an old index card with a recipe for “6 Week Buttermilk Bran Muffins” which I received at one of my bridal showers, eons ago. It looks quite splattered after years and years of use. Then, one day I couldn’t find Nabisco 100% Bran on the cereal shelves anymore.
My days of making this batter which could sit in the fridge for up to 6 weeks, allowing you to prepare fresh buttermilk bran muffins on a whim, seemed to be finished. I never did get behind the idea of baking these past the 24-hour mark, but they were quite tasty and a staple at our house.
All-Bran Bran Muffin Recipe
Tip of the Day
Tip of the day: If you have enough leftover batter for just one or two muffins, place paper liners in a ramekin or two, fill and bake with your tin.
More Muffin Recipes You’ll Love:
- Double Cherry Muffins
- Cinnamon Zucchini Muffins
- Raspberry White Chocolate Muffins
- Sour Cream Blueberry Muffins
- More Breakfast Recipes
- 6 cups All-Bran, divided
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil (or 2 sticks butter, melted)
- 4 eggs
- 1-quart buttermilk
- 5 cups flour
- 5 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 carrots, grated, or dried fruit of choice, optional
- Preheat oven to 400º. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
- Combine 2 cups of All-Bran with 2 cups boiling water and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine sugars, oil, and eggs. Add buttermilk and reserved softened All-Bran and mix well. Add flour, baking soda, salt and remaining 4 cups of All-Bran. Mix until just combined. Mix in carrots.
- Fill muffin cups about 2/3 full. Bake for about 20 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before removing to wire rack to finish cooling.
Serving Size:1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 154 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 16mg Sodium: 278mg Carbohydrates: 25g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 12g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g
Photo circa 2012