Pumpkin Roll Recipe
This classic Pumpkin Roll Recipe with a heavenly cream cheese filling is the perfect way to usher in pumpkin season! Libby‘s Pumpkin Roll has been around for decades and is a perfect autumn or Thanksgiving dessert!
Impress your guests by baking up this autumnal Pumpkin Roll Cake. Step-by-step instructions will guide you through the process.
Why You’ll Love
- Pumpkin Cake plus Cream Cheese Filling is an irresistible combination!!
- It’s perfect for any fall gathering!
- If you haven’t made a cake roll before, this is the recipe to try. Even if it’s not magazine worthy, it will still be delicious!
As in the past, I used the classic Libby’s pumpkin roll recipe with a delectable cream cheese filling as a guide. Only tweaking the recipe slightly, I added ginger and decreased the amount of ground cloves, and also eliminated the nuts. If you’ve never made a cake roll, it can be kind of daunting. But with a few simple tips and some practice, you’ll be acing this recipe time and time again.
- PRO-Tip: Make sure to line your jelly roll pan with parchment paper. The top must be greased so you can peel it off easily.
- PRO-Tip: Dust a non-terrycloth towel with powdered sugar. This will be used to help roll up the cake. The powdered sugar will help prevent the cake from sticking to the towel.
- Immediately after the pumpkin roll comes out of the oven, run a knife or small metal spatula around the perimeter of the cake and flip it out of the pan and onto the prepared towel. Just do it carefully and use your spare hand to guide the cake so it doesn’t flop out of the pan too quickly.
- Peel off the paper carefully.
- While the cake is still warm, roll it up from one short side to the other. You will be rolling the towel up with the cake to cool.
- Let the rolled cake cool on a wire rack.
- After the cake is cool, unroll, remove the towel, spread the filling over the surface, and reroll sans the towel. Wrap in plastic and chill.
- To serve, remove the plastic wrap and place the cake on a serving dish. Dust with powdered sugar and slice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, a pumpkin roll recipe freezes well. Just wrap well in plastic and make sure to defrost in the refrigerator overnight before serving. It will keep for about 3 months in the freezer and 4 to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Do not use a terry cloth towel or a towel with any sort of texture as the cake is bound to stick when it’s unrolled. PRO-Tip: Use a fine-woven, thin kitchen or tea towel instead, and make sure to dust it with powdered sugar to help prevent sticking. You can also roll your cake in parchment paper, but I’ve always used a towel.
The most common cause of a cake roll cracking is when it’s rolled when it’s cooled off too much. PRO-Tip: The cake needs to be rolled right when it comes out of the oven, when it’s most pliable. Turn it out onto a towel well dusted with powdered sugar, roll it, then let the cake cool in the towel on a cooling rack.
You May Also Like:
- Lemon Cake Roll from Big Bear’s Wife
- Recipe for German Chocolate Cake
- Best Carrot Cake
- Cocoa Layer Cake
- Tres Leches Cake Recipe
- Killer Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
- More Cake Recipes
- More of the Best Dessert Recipes
Stay in touch through social media @ Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Don’t forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes! And if you love the results, please give it a 5-star rating in the recipe card. Note: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit my Amazon Store for my favorite products.
- ¼ cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
- ¾ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ⅔ cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Powdered sugar, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 375º. Grease a 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax or parchment paper. Grease and flour paper. Sprinkle a thin kitchen towel with the ¼ cup of powdered sugar.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and salt in a small bowl. Beat eggs and granulated sugar in a large mixer bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in the flour mixture. Spread evenly into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until the top of the cake pops back when gently pressed with a finger. Immediately loosen and turn the cake out onto the prepared towel. Carefully peel off the paper. Roll up the cake and towel together, starting with the narrow end. Cool on a wire rack.
- Beat cream cheese, remaining powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla until smooth. Carefully unroll the cake. Spread filling over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 241mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 1gSugar: 39gProtein: 4g