Pumpkin Roll Recipe
This classic Pumpkin Roll Recipe with a heavenly cream cheese filling is the perfect way to usher in pumpkin season! Libby‘s Pumpkin Roll has been around for decades and is a perfect autumn or Thanksgiving dessert!
Impress your guests by baking up this autumnal Pumpkin Roll Cake. Step-by-step instructions will guide you through the process.
Why You’ll Love
- Pumpkin Cake plus Cream Cheese Filling is an irresistible combination!!
- It’s perfect for any fall gathering!
- If you haven’t made a cake roll before, this is the recipe to try. Even if it’s not magazine worthy, it will still be delicious!
As in the past, I used the classic Libby’s pumpkin roll recipe with a delectable cream cheese filling as a guide. Only tweaking the recipe slightly, I added ginger and decreased the amount of ground cloves, and also eliminated the nuts. If you’ve never made a cake roll, it can be kind of daunting. But with a few simple tips and some practice, you’ll be acing this recipe time and time again.
- PRO-Tip: Make sure to line your jelly roll pan with parchment paper. The top must be greased so you can peel it off easily.
- PRO-Tip: Dust a non-terrycloth towel with powdered sugar. This will be used to help roll up the cake. The powdered sugar will help prevent the cake from sticking to the towel.
- Immediately after the pumpkin roll comes out of the oven, run a knife or small metal spatula around the perimeter of the cake and flip it out of the pan and onto the prepared towel. Just do it carefully and use your spare hand to guide the cake so it doesn’t flop out of the pan too quickly.
- Peel off the paper carefully.
- While the cake is still warm, roll it up from one short side to the other. You will be rolling the towel up with the cake to cool.
- Let the rolled cake cool on a wire rack.
- After the cake is cool, unroll, remove the towel, spread the filling over the surface, and reroll sans the towel. Wrap in plastic and chill.
- To serve, remove the plastic wrap and place the cake on a serving dish. Dust with powdered sugar and slice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, a pumpkin roll recipe freezes well. Just wrap well in plastic and make sure to defrost in the refrigerator overnight before serving. It will keep for about 3 months in the freezer and 4 to 5 days in the refrigerator.
Do not use a terry cloth towel or a towel with any sort of texture as the cake is bound to stick when it’s unrolled. PRO-Tip: Use a fine-woven, thin kitchen or tea towel instead, and make sure to dust it with powdered sugar to help prevent sticking. You can also roll your cake in parchment paper, but I’ve always used a towel.
The most common cause of a cake roll cracking is when it’s rolled when it’s cooled off too much. PRO-Tip: The cake needs to be rolled right when it comes out of the oven, when it’s most pliable. Turn it out onto a towel well dusted with powdered sugar, roll it, then let the cake cool in the towel on a cooling rack.
You May Also Like:
- Lemon Cake Roll from Big Bear’s Wife
- Recipe for German Chocolate Cake
- Best Carrot Cake
- Cocoa Layer Cake
- Tres Leches Cake Recipe
- Killer Pumpkin Bars with Cream Cheese Frosting
- More Cake Recipes
- More of the Best Dessert Recipes
Pumpkin Roll Recipe
A classic Pumpkin Roll slightly adapted from Libby's
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar (to sprinkle on towel)
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 6 tablespoons butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Powdered sugar, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 375º. Grease 15 x10-inch jelly-roll pan; line with wax or parchment paper. Grease and flour paper. Sprinkle a thin kitchen towel with the ¼ cup of powdered sugar.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger and salt in small bowl. Beat eggs and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until thick. Beat in pumpkin. Stir in flour mixture. Spread evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until the top of cake pops back when gently pressed with a finger. Immediately loosen and turn the cake out onto prepared towel. Carefully peel off the paper. Roll up cake and towel together, starting with narrow end. Cool on a wire rack.
- Beat cream cheese, remaining powdered sugar, butter, and vanilla until smooth. Carefully unroll cake. Spread filling over cake. Reroll cake. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate at least one hour.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.
Roll up the cake while it is warm as it won't be pliable if it cools down too much.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 318Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 241mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 1gSugar: 39gProtein: 4g
50 Comments on “Pumpkin Roll Recipe”
I made this roll fifteen times or more if I am not mistaken since learned about this recipe last year. Tomorrow, I am making five rolls in time for the Canadian Thanksgiving as gifts. Friends who don’t like any baked goods with pumpkin are loving this roll. They always request this whenever we have gatherings even if it’s not Thanksgiving Day. Thank you Liz for sharing this wonderful recipe.
Oh, that’s wonderful, Jessica!! You are such a thoughtful and generous friend. Have a terrific Thanksgiving!
Everything you bake looks so perfect. And this pumpkin roll is no exception. Looks amazing!
I loveeee this recipe and used it a few time, but I always get thrown off with how long does it take for the cake when rolled up to cool. Lol Also, what’s “ reroll sans the towel” mean ?
Yeah, me, too! It’s a thin cake, but I’d start checking at 1-2 hour mark to see if it feels cool enough. “Sans” is French for without. It’s about all I remember from my junior high French 🙂
Amazing! This is definitely the best revipe! Everyone loves it every time! Thanks!
I’m so glad, Angela!! Thanks for taking the time to let me know!