This Fudgy Chocolate Sheet Cake with Cocoa Icing is the perfect way to serve dessert to a crowd. Who doesn’t love a tender, frosted slice of chocolate cake??
Note: This post may contain affiliate links; view my Disclosure Policy for details. I earn a small percentage from any purchase you make by clicking on these links at no extra cost to you.
Fudgy Chocolate Sheet Cake with Cocoa Icing
It’s pretty much a given that any party I’m hosting will have a chocolate dessert on the menu! From an exquisite flourless chocolate cake topped with berries to blissful molten lava cakes to dense, delectable fudgy brownies, I’ve made them all. But if I’m feeding a crowd, a chocolate sheet cake makes most sense. Squares of this dense cake are topped with a cocoa icing that’s reminiscent of fudge. Yeah, how can that be bad??
A Double Dose of Chocolate
This cake has more chocolate intensity than our favorite chocolate syrup brownies, so a scoop of vanilla ice cream is a nice complement. Sweetened whipped cream and berries would also jazz up these squares of deliciousness! I was told I can make this one again, and that’s high praise around here. Even Katie enjoyed a slice of this fudgy chocolate sheet cake, and she’s a hard sell when it comes to chocolate desserts. What’s your favorite dessert to feed a crowd? If you don’t have one, I recommend this fudgy chocolate sheet cake, of course. And don’t forget the cocoa icing for double the yum!
Welcome to Progressive Eats, our virtual version of a Progressive Dinner Party. Our menu this month features recipes to help you celebrate the last long weekend of the summer, Labor Day! We’ve got a great mix of recipes from appetizer to desserts, starting with a cocktail, then fabulous dishes perfect for picnics, potlucks, and barbecues! Hosting this month is Jane from The Heritage Cook.
Holiday Weekend Favorites
- Pineapple Mint Shrub Cocktail from Mother Would Know
- Punjabi Samosa from Spice Roots
- Grilled Tandoori Chicken with Cucumber Yogurt Sauce (Gluten-Free) from The Heritage Cook
- Peach and Roasted Cherry Tomato Panzanella from Pastry Chef Online
- Vanilla Bean Bourbon Plum Bundt Cake from The Redhead Baker
- Chocolate Sheet Cake with Cocoa Icing from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Fresh Blueberry and Lemon Cream Pie from Creative Culinary
If you’re unfamiliar with the concept, a progressive dinner involves going from house to house, enjoying a different course at each location. With Progressive Eats, a theme is chosen each month, members share recipes suitable for a delicious meal or party, and you can hop from blog to blog to check them out.
Used in This Fudgy Chocolate Sheet Cake Recipe:
- Half Sheet Pan, 13″ x 18″ (I use this for baking cookies, roasting potatoes and a whole lot more!)
- Bakers Joy Non-Stick Spray (A staple in my pantry!)
- Large Angled Icing Spatula (Excellent tool for frosting cakes and brownies baked in sheet pans)
- Smart Scoop Ice Cream Scoop (My favorite ice cream scoop)
More Desserts to Feed a Crowd:
- Easy Apple Cake from Wonky Wonderful
- Triple Chocolate Cheesecake from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- No Bake Oreo Layer Dessert from Brown Eyed Baker
- Jacques Torres’ Secret Chocolate Chip Cookies from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Hot Fudge Caramel Ice Cream Bar Cake from Belly Full
For the cake:
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 8 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick/2 ounces) butter
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
For the icing:
- 1 stick (8 tablespoons/4 ounces) butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease 18- by 13-inch (half-sheet cake sized) rimmed baking sheet. Put flour, sugar, baking soda, and salt in large bowl and whisk to combine. Whisk eggs and yolks, vanilla, and sour cream in another bowl until smooth.
- Microwave chocolate, butter, oil, water, and cocoa in a large Pyrex measuring cup or microwave safe bowl till chocolate is soft. Whisk till smooth...microwave a little longer if all chocolate is not melted.
- Whisk chocolate mixture into flour mixture until well combined. Whisk egg mixture into batter, then pour into prepared pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into center comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- About 5 minutes before cake is done, heat butter, cream, cocoa, and corn syrup in large saucepan over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until smooth. Take off heat and, whisk in powdered sugar and vanilla. Spread warm icing over hot cake.
- Let cake cool to room temperature on wire rack, about 1 hour, then refrigerate until icing is set, about 1 hour. Cut and serve.
Adapted from Cook's Country.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 312 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 8g Cholesterol: 38mg Sodium: 82mg Carbohydrates: 48g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 36g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g