Perfectly paired with our grilled steaks, this Italian Chopped Salad with Parmesan Vinaigrette was chock full of delicious flavors and textures. It was a hugewith our friends!
When entertaining, I love a green salad on the menu. This versatile chopped salad recipe can be tweaked with your favorite ingredients!
Chopped Italian Salad
I’m not sure you’d ever find this particular salad in Italy, but it has a certain Italian flair. With roasted peppers, pine nuts, greens and a Parmesan vinaigrette, it’s tasty as well as versatile!
I’m a sucker for chopped salads! Where the hubby would be happy with a salad of lettuce, tomatoes and Ranch dressing, I’m more inclined to add multiple ingredients with varied textures like in this colorful chopped Italian salad.
What Entrees Work with This Italian Salad?
How Can I Tweak This Salad Recipe?
I’m used to finding a pile of artichoke hearts or hearts of palm on the side of the picky hubby’s plate, so feel free to leave out any ingredient that your family does not enjoy.
- If you love onions, you may not need to pickle them by soaking them in vinegar to tame down their sharpness. I like a red or yellow onion as they tend to be sweeter than white onions. Or use green onions or scallions instead.
- I found some of my favorite jarred piquillo peppers and diced them up. Feel free to use roasted bell peppers or even chopped raw red bell peppers for some crunch.
- Don’t like pine nuts? Sliced almonds would work well, too, or just leave them out. The picky hubby would like the latter option.
- Feel free to use your favorite lettuces, add cucumbers, grape tomatoes, etc.
- Make sure to shake the vinaigrette well before dressing the salad. Any simple vinaigrette will work with this salad though the Parmesan gives another taste of Italy!
- You can prep this salad well ahead of time. Just keep all the components refrigerated and toss with the dressing right before serving so the greens don’t get bogged down from the dressing.
More Terrific Salad Recipes You’ll Love
This Kitchen Sink Chopped Salad needs to return to our menu soon as I love leftovers for lunch. Simple and delicious, a Marinated Vegetable Salad is an old classic that’s perfect for a summer picnic. And if you haven’t made a Caesar Salad at home, it’s high time you do!
- 1 head Romaine lettuce, sliced crosswise into 1/2 inch ribbons
- 1/4 head of iceberg lettuce, chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 small red onion, peeled, thinly sliced and soaked in sherry or champagne vinegar while salad is prepped
- 1 jar marinated artichoke hearts (14 ounces), cut into quarters and tough leaves removed if needed
- 1 jar (or can) hearts of palm, drained and sliced
- 1 jar piquillo peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup olive oil
Place lettuces in the bottom of a large salad bowl. Add toppings.
To make the dressing, whisk red wine vinegar, salt, pepper, garlic powder and Parmesan in large Pyrex measuring up. Slowly whisk in olive oil.
To serve, rewhisk the dressing and pour over the salad ingredients. Toss until combined. Serve immediately. May top with more Parmesan if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 255 Total Fat: 22g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 17g Cholesterol: 7mg Sodium: 300mg Carbohydrates: 10g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 6g