It was time to shake up our burger routine. This Italian Pesto Burger topped with gooey mozzarella, a ruffle of lettuce, a juicy tomato and crispy prosciutto was a winner!
Italian Pesto Burger
I’ve added pesto to meat balls for a change of pace, so why not a hamburger? The olive oil, basil and garlic in the pesto provided an Italian flair to this burger as do the toppings! Lettuce and tomatoes are a given at our house, but some gooey mozzarella cheese and crispy prosciutto kicked this burger up a few more notches!
This post is part of the annual #BurgerMonth Celebration. This year over 100 foodies are contributing over-the-top burger recipes. Make sure to follow #BurgerMonth to check them all out!
I recommend serving my pesto Italian pesto burgers with this Mediterranean Bean Salad, this Tomato Basil Pasta Salad, or this Grilled Summer Vegetable Salad. And check out this Burger Grill Guide for tips to make the perfect burgers every time! For more grilling and entree inspiration check out these Entree Recipes.
Italian Pesto Burger
An Italian twist on the humble hamburger with pesto, mozzarella and crispy prosciutto.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Entree, Beef
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: Italian-American
- 6 slices prosciutto
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (I use Certified Angus Beef® ground chuck)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sliced mozzarella cheese
- Leaf lettuce
- Sliced vine ripened or garden tomatoes
- Hamburger buns
- Place prosciutto slice on a oven-proof rack over a baking sheet. Turn on broiler and broil for 1-2 minutes until crispy (time will vary depending on how close your plan is to the element).
- Add pesto to hamburger meat and mix with hands until well incorporated. Season with salt and pepper and form into 4-6 burgers, depending on the size you like.
- Grill burgers, adding 1-2 cheese slices and shutting the lid to melt the cheese right before removing the burgers from the grill.
- Serve with lettuce, tomato, prosciutto and condiments of your choice on buns.