Italian Pesto Burger
It was time to shake up our burger routine. This Italian Pesto Burger topped with gooey mozzarella, a ruffle of lettuce, a juicy tomato, and crispy prosciutto was a winner!
Some Italian Burgers are topped with pesto, but these have pesto mixed right into the burger. It’s time to fire up your grill and shake up your burger routine!
Italian Pesto Burger
I’ve added pesto to meatballs for a change of pace, so why not a hamburger? The olive oil, basil, and garlic in the pesto provided an Italian flair to this burger as do the toppings! Lettuce and tomatoes are a given at our house, but some gooey mozzarella cheese and crispy prosciutto kicked this burger up a few more notches!
This is a simple way to kick up your burgers a notch or two! If you like bacon on your burger, you’ll love shaking things up with prosciutto. Just broil it carefully until it starts to brown and get crispy. It’s another bit of Italy added to your burgers!
This post is part of the annual #BurgerMonth Celebration. This year over 100 foodies are contributing over-the-top burger recipes. Make sure to follow #BurgerMonth to check them all out!
I recommend serving these Italian pesto burgers with a Mediterranean Bean Salad, Tomato Basil Pasta Salad, or this Grilled Summer Vegetable Salad. And check out this Burger Grill Guide for tips on how to make the perfect burgers and more! For more grilling and entree inspiration check out these Entree Recipes.
- 6 slices prosciutto
- 1/4 cup pesto
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (I use Certified Angus Beef® ground chuck)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Sliced mozzarella cheese
- Leaf lettuce
- Sliced vine ripened or garden tomatoes
- Hamburger buns
- Place prosciutto slice on a oven-proof rack over a baking sheet. Turn on broiler and broil for 1-2 minutes until crispy (time will vary depending on how close your plan is to the element).
- Add pesto to hamburger meat and mix with hands until well incorporated. Season with salt and pepper and form into 4-6 burgers, depending on the size you like.
- Grill burgers, adding 1-2 cheese slices and shutting the lid to melt the cheese right before removing the burgers from the grill.
- Serve with lettuce, tomato, prosciutto and condiments of your choice on buns.
Serving Size:1 burger
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 454Total Fat: 28gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 126mgSodium: 1157mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 41g
Calories are for the burger alone.