Grilled Fish Tacos
Grilled Fish Tacos make a spectacular, interactive meal that’s healthy to boot! Add your favorite toppings and dig in for a delightful meal.
Grilled Fish Tacos
When I mentioned we were having fish tacos for dinner, Nick let out an expected groan. I reassured him that tilapia was a mild tasting fish…and he responded, “But does it smell like fish when it’s cooking?” Uh, well, yes, it does. Nick was the toddler who asked for “mo’ fish” when his grandpa gave him a sample of pickled herring…what happened here????
We’ve been supplementing Lambeau’s kibble with canned salmon to ease her arthritic joints. Apparently, the fragrance wafting from the can may have caused all my children to swear off seafood for life!! I was hoping to change the direction of their thinking with this fish tacos recipe.
Re-purposing Fish Taco Leftovers
Well, I got opposition all around…but for you fish lovers, these Grilled Fish Tacos were incredibly delicious! Even though I had to give up the idea of firing up our charcoal grill due to the one inch of ice and 4 inches of snow covering it, my cast iron grilled pan did nicely.
And possibly better than the fish tacos recipe was the yummy salad I created from the leftovers. I tossed the veggies together, topped them with the fish, and mixed the salsa and lime mayo for a fabulous dressing.
You Also Might Enjoy:
- Garlic Butter Baked Salmon from Diethood
- Easy Glazed Salmon
- Soft Shell Salmon Tacos
- Shrimp Fajitas
- Sea Bass with Tomatoes, Olives and Capers
- Easy Smoked Salmon Dip
- More Seafood Recipes
- 1 1/2 cups chopped onion, divided
- 3/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, divided
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 5 tablespoons lime juice, divided
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, Mexican if you have it
- 1 pound tilapia fillets
- Kosher salt
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Corn or flour tortillas
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted, sliced
- 1/2 small head of cabbage, cored and thinly sliced
- Tomato salsa of your choice
- Red bell pepper strips, optional
- Lime wedges
- Mix 1 cup onion, 1/4 cup cilantro, oil, 3 tablespoons of lime juice, orange juice, garlic and oregano in bowl. Season fish with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Spread half the mixture over the bottom of glass baking dish. Place fish over onion mixture and top with the rest of the mixture. Cover and chill 30 minutes. Turn and marinate another 30 minutes.
- Whisk mayonnaise, milk and 2 tablespoons lime juice in bowl.
- Brush grill or grill pan with oil. Heat to medium high heat. Grill fish till just opaque when center is exposed, about 3-5 minutes per side. Grill tortillas till slightly charred.
- Coarsely chop fish and place on serving dish with remaining onions and cilantro, avocados, salsa, lime wedges and lime mayonnaise.
Adapted from Bon Appetit
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 938Total Fat: 74gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 60gCholesterol: 88mgSodium: 697mgCarbohydrates: 39gFiber: 11gSugar: 10gProtein: 37g