Fudgy Red Wine Brownies: An easy, elegant, not to mention rich, chocolate dessert. The addition of red wine only enhances the flavor of chocolate. These made for some decadent and delicious adult brownies.
Fudgy Red Wine Brownies
Due to my crazy, self-imposed, blogging schedule, I was cooking up a slew of new recipes that weren’t exactly thrilling the persnickety family. But when I mentioned fudgy red wine brownies, the hubby perked up. He was obviously relieved he wouldn’t have to stock up on Oreos while I baked my way through the list.
I was honored to be selected by Gallo to cook up something for the holidays with wine…and, of course, I went with something rich and chocolate. Who doesn’t go nuts for brownies?
Why add Red Wine to Recipes?
Like salt, alcohol is a flavor enhancer. Have you ever wondered why Penne alla Vodka is so much better than just plain old pasta in a tomato cream sauce? You’ve got it; it’s the addition of alcohol. Wine is such a fabulous addition to so many entrees. Most of the alcohol evaporates while the dish cooks, so it’s still a family-friendly meal. So why not add it to a dessert?
Pairing a nice red wine like a Cabernet Sauvignon worked beautifully with the semi-sweet chocolate…the wine enhanced the chocolate flavor beautifully. The essence of wine is there, but it’s subtle. My chocoholic sons didn’t object one bit. The cab I selected was described as a “full-bodied, dry wine with rich black fruit and spice undertones.'” Perfect.
Since our Thanksgiving pies were long gone, I was wondering how these brownies would work as one of the many sweets I churn out for Christmas. Each year, I whip up a variety of candies and cookies for our friends and neighbors. Some make an appearance every year like fudge and chewy gingersnaps. Whether others get made, like my noel nutballs and caramels, depends on what the cook is craving.
Each family member has their favorite, and baking and snacking has become an important part of our holiday tradition. These brownies can be jazzed up nicely for the holidays. I found some cute sugar stockings at Sur la Table that easily transform a simple fudgy brownie into a festive treat. A few homemade cookies are such a wonderful way to spread some holiday cheer. Think about adding these red wine brownies to your holiday repertoire.
More Brownie Recipes You’ll Love:
- Twix and Pretzel Loaded Brownies from Sweet C’s Designs
- Symphony Toffee Brownies
- Fudgy Brownie Pie
- Best Fudgy Brownies
- Fudgy Cocoa Brownies
- Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies
- More Brownie Recipes
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup red wine (I used Gallo Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
For the glaze:
- 2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons cream
- Preheat the oven to 350º. Line an 8×8 pan and line with non-stick foil or use regular foil and spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Melt the chocolate and the butter together in a heatproof bowl in the microwave stirring every 30 seconds until melted and smooth.
- In a large bowl whisk together the eggs, sugars and vanilla. Whisk in the chocolate mixture and then the wine. Add the flour, cocoa powder and salt and whisk till smooth. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a tester comes out with just a few moist crumbs.
- While the brownies are baking make the glaze. Melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave till smooth, then whisk in the cream until well combined. Pour the glaze over the warm brownies and spread with knife or offset spatula to cover.
- Cool completely, then remove from pan using foil and cut into squares to serve.
These brownies slice best when cold, but bring them to room temperature to serve.
Total time does not reflect chilling time.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 207Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 43mgSodium: 130mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 1gSugar: 18gProtein: 2g