These scrumptious Dark Chocolate Mousse Bars start with a graham cracker crust, followed by an egg-free mousse before being crowned with chocolate ganache! Three tempting layers of deliciousness.
Many of my friends have seen my baking cupboard…that spot where I keep extracts, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder and stacks of Ghirardelli chocolate bars. We go through A LOT of those chocolate bars. But I hadn’t baked with Ghirardelli’s 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips till I tested out these scrumptious Dark Chocolate Mousse Bars.
Dark Chocolate Mousse Bars – a delicious layered bar cookie
This recipe was a cinch to whip up…with a phenomenal pay off. To start, an easy graham cracker crust was mixed, tamped, baked and then cooled while the filling was prepped. Room temperature cream cheese was whipped and then a cup of the bittersweet chocolate baking chips was mixed in. Those chocolate babies melted like a dream. I then whipped up some cream and folded it into the chocolate mixture to lighten the mousse. So far so good. The mousse layer was spread onto the crust and then the remaining baking chips were melted with a bit more cream to make the ganache topping. I popped the pan in the fridge to chill…and immediately began tapping my toes. Yes, I wanted to dive right into this layered chocolate wonder.
The hubby got the first taste and gave them exuberant praise. I think I saw a pout when I sent half the batch home with our oldest…who also declared them sublime. I am happy these dark chocolate mousse bars can be made with ingredients that are almost always found in my kitchen. And you can bet I’ll be adding a stash of these 60% Cacao Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips to my baking supplies. Now run to the market to stock up on these chocolate chips as these sinfully rich bars are perfect for your Valentine!
Disclosure: Ghirardelli supplied me with a monetary stipend to purchase chocolate. I was not compensated for writing this post and the opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and are not indicative of the opinions or positions of Ghirardelli.
Dark Chocolate Mousse Bars
3 layers of deliciousness including a middle layer of chocolate mousse.000
- Prep Time: 40 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 24 bars 1x
- Category: Dessert, Bar Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 10-ounce bag Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate Chips (60% Cacao)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream, divided
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line a 9 x 13 pan with non-stick foil or use regular foil and spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Mix graham cracker crumbs, melted butter and sugar and mix well. Pat into bottom of prepared pan and bake 10 minutes. Let cool before making mousse.
- Melt 1 cup of chocolate chips in microwave, starting, stopping and stirring at 30 second intervals till chocolate melted and smooth. Set aside.
- Place cream cheese in a large bowl and using electric mixer, whip till light and fluffy. Add chocolate and mix till combined.
- Beat 1 cup of the whipping cream with powdered sugar and vanilla till soft peaks form. Add to chocolate mixture and whip till combined. Spread over cooled crust and refrigerate while making topping.
- Melt remaining chocolate chips with remaining 1/2 cup cream in microwave, stopping and stirring and 30 second intervals till melted and smooth. Spoon over mousse and spread with offset spatula. Refrigerate till firm, then cut and serve.
Total time does not reflect cooling/chilling times.