Cream Cheese Filled Carrot Cake Muffins: The divine flavors of a traditional carrot cake are transformed into a portable breakfast or snack!
Cream Cheese Filled Carrot Cake Muffins
There is nothing better than biting through a crisp, sugary crust into a sweet tender muffin. Well, except if that tender muffin has a center of sweet cream cheese filling. As a riff on carrot cake, these splendid cream cheese filled carrot cake muffins have a surprise filling instead of a topping of cream cheese icing.
I took my favorite carrot cake recipe from The New Basics Cookbook by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins and tweaked it into mini-versions that are perfectly acceptable for breakfast. Nice, huh?
I shared these cream cheese filled carrot cake muffins with my unbiased taste testers one Friday morning, asking for their honest reviews. “Too much oil?” I posed. “How’s the texture?” I queried. Between bites and swallows, there was only praise.
My non-baking friend, Sally, inquired whether she could make these…”Of course,” I replied. Anyone who can read and follow directions can make these. There’s nothing complicated when it comes to mixing, spraying, and scooping.
Rave Reviews for these Carrot Cake Muffins
I promised to type up the recipe ASAP, so I could share it immediately. And I sent as many as I could home with my friends. These babies are dangerous to have in plain view. Even tucked in my freezer, I’ve been dreaming of them all day.
I have a feeling I won’t even wait till one defrosts before I dive in! They may not win any beauty contest, but they will win first place in the muffin category…and maybe even best in show. They are spectacular!!!
Update: Two of my friends made these within a week of sampling my version. One doubled the filling so keep that in mind if you’d like to increase the ratio of filling to muffin batter. She also suggested freezing the filling mounds overnight…which I quickly seconded. It will be easier to roll and hold its shape if it’s fully frozen.
More Brunch Recipes You’ll Love:
- Key Lime Pie Smoothie from Chelsea’s Messy Apron
- Lemon-Poppyseed Cornbread Mini Muffins from Foxes Love Lemons
- Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Cherry Muffins from Chocolate Moosey
- Cream Cheese Filled Pumpkin Bread
- Raspberry Mascarpone French Toast
- Lemon Blueberry Muffin Bread
- Cinnamon Bubble Roll
- Zucchini Bread Recipe
- More Brunch Recipes
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar (I used Dixie Crystals brand)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups shredded carrots (I used Grimmway Farms)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/3 cup crushed pineapple, well drained
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup sugar (I used Dixie Crystals brand)
Note: You may want to freeze filling balls overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Add paper liners to 12 cup muffin tin and spray insides of papers with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Make filling by mixing cream cheese and sugar with hand held electric mixer till smooth. Scoop out scant one tablespoon rounds onto a parchment lined pan and place in freezer while continuing with recipe. You will need 12; one for each cupcake.
- Place shredded carrots in a microwave safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 3-4 minutes, till carrots have softened slightly. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in large bowl. Add the oil, eggs and vanilla and mix well. Stir in carrots, walnuts, coconut and pineapple.
- Scoop a tablespoonful or two of batter into each prepared muffin cup. Remove filling from the freezer and quickly shape into a compact balls with your hands, if desired, and put one ball in each of the muffin cups. Divide the rest of the batter between the muffin cups. Spread batter over filling if necessary.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes.
Adapted from the Silver Palate cookbook.
You may want to freeze the cream cheese filling balls overnight
Serving Size:1 muffin
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 303Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 40mgSodium: 205mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 3g