One hot dog a year is the max for this skinny chick. But after making these sumptuous Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs topped with fruit salsa, my tune has changed!
Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs
Lately, I’ve seen a few jazzed up hot dogs, like these Fajita Hot Dogs, that made me look at this American phenomenon in a new light! When I mentioned that hot dogs were on the menu to the hubby, the silence was palpable. I knew he was thinking a dog from the grocery store tucked in a mushy, mass produced bun that he’d have to douse in ketchup.
With his first bite of these bacon encased, butcher shop hot dogs, he declared them a hit. I had planned on grilling but turned to my non-stick skillet when storms rolled through our area as I prepped dinner. The smoky flavor from the bacon was enough to kick these up more than one notch! They were spectacular!
Tips for Making Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs
I was overly optimistic, thinking the bacon would be self-sticking like the thin Italian prosciutto in my Asparagus Wrapped in Prosciutto. Nope. So I turned to the trusty toothpick. Not ideal, but I inserted one on each end to anchor the bacon as well as to make the picks nearly impossible to ignore. There were rumors that my dad accidentally ate a candle on his birthday cake when we were kids. Not sure if martinis were involved or not!
- PRO-Tip: I worried that my hubby might need some sort of throat extraction if he fell to the same fate and bit into a toothpick! My advice is to pull them out as you load the buns. Between the spicy flavorful dogs, the salty bacon and the sweet and spicy fruit salsa, I was in heaven with every bite.
- Make sure to buy the best quality hot dogs you can find plus good bulk bacon and these bacon wrapped hot dogs will become a summer tradition! I like to purchase mine from my local butcher shop.
More Creative Hot Dog Recipes from My Blogger Friends
- Cheesy Pretzel Dogs by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Jalapeno Popper Hot Dogs by Life Tastes Good
- Buffalo Hot Dogs by The Crumby Kitchen
- Chili Cheese Dog Baked Potatoes by Food Lust People Love
- Burrito Dogs by Our Good Life
- Hot Dog Breakfast Tacos by Pies and Plots
Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs with Fruit Salsa
A simple way to turn the ordinary hot dog into a gourmet summer entree!
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Entree
- Method: Sauteing
- Cuisine: American
- 4 Hot Dogs (I purchased from our nearby butcher shop)
- 4–6 slices thick bacon
- 4 hot dog buns
- 1 medium peach, peeled and diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeds removed, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- Wrap a slice of bacon around each hot dog (you can add another ½ slice if you want more coverage, but I had to use toothpicks to help the extra slice adhere).
- Place in a skillet and cook, turning as needed until bacon is cooked and hot dog is heated through.
- While hot dogs are cooking, make salsa. Add all ingredients to a bowl and toss to combine.
- Serve hot dogs in buns with your favorite condiments and top with salsa.