One hot dog a year is the max for this skinny chick. But after making these sumptuous Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs topped with fruit salsa, my tune has changed!
Bacon-Wrapped Hot Dogs
Lately, I’ve seen a few jazzed up hot dogs, like these Fajita Hot Dogs, that made me look at this American phenomenon in a new light! When I mentioned that hot dogs were on the menu to the hubby, the silence was palpable. I knew he was thinking a dog from the grocery store tucked in a mushy, mass-produced bun that he’d have to douse in ketchup.
With his first bite of these bacon encased, butcher shop hot dogs, he declared them a hit. I had planned on grilling but turned to my non-stick skillet when storms rolled through our area as I prepped dinner. The smoky flavor from the bacon was enough to kick these up more than one notch! They were spectacular!
Tips for Making Bacon Wrapped Hot Dogs
I was overly optimistic, thinking the bacon would be self-sticking like the thin Italian prosciutto in my Asparagus Wrapped in Prosciutto. Nope. So I turned to the trusty toothpick. Not ideal, but I inserted one on each end to anchor the bacon as well as to make the picks nearly impossible to ignore. There were rumors that my dad accidentally ate a candle on his birthday cake when we were kids. Not sure if martinis were involved or not!
- PRO-Tip: I worried that my hubby might need some sort of throat extraction if he fell to the same fate and bit into a toothpick! My advice is to pull them out as you load the buns. Between the spicy flavorful dogs, the salty bacon and the sweet and spicy fruit salsa, I was in heaven with every bite.
- Make sure to buy the best quality hot dogs you can find plus good bulk bacon and these bacon wrapped hot dogs will become a summer tradition! I like to purchase mine from my local butcher shop.
More Creative Hot Dog Recipes from My Blogger Friends
- Cheesy Pretzel Dogs by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Jalapeno Popper Hot Dogs by Life Tastes Good
- Buffalo Hot Dogs by The Crumby Kitchen
- Chili Cheese Dog Baked Potatoes by Food Lust People Love
- Burrito Dogs by Our Good Life
- Hot Dog Breakfast Tacos by Pies and Plots
- 4 Hot Dogs (I purchased from our nearby butcher shop)
- 4-6 slices thick bacon
- 4 hot dog buns
- 1 medium peach, peeled and diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup diced strawberries
- 1 medium jalapeno, seeds removed, diced
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- pinch of kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- Wrap a slice of bacon around each hot dog (you can add another ½ slice if you want more coverage, but I had to use toothpicks to help the extra slice adhere).
- Place in a skillet and cook, turning as needed until bacon is cooked and hot dog is heated through.
- While hot dogs are cooking, make salsa. Add all ingredients to a bowl and toss to combine.
- Serve hot dogs in buns with your favorite condiments and top with salsa.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 420 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 45mg Sodium: 990mg Carbohydrates: 34g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 9g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 17g