This refreshing Mexican Chopped Salad with Cilantro Vinaigrette is a marvelous summer entree with fresh corn, jicama, avocados, tomatoes and more! Add some chicken or shrimp for a heartier meal!
Mexican Chopped Salad with Cilantro Vinaigrette
This is a delightful salad for the sultry days of summer. Full of fresh, colorful vegetables, black beans, and Mexican cheese, it’s dressed in a cilantro, lime vinaigrette with a slight kick! This is one of my go-to dishes to take to friends who need a meal, especially when the weather has been hot and miserably humid.
A few years back, I made a double batch to share with my dear friends across while their kitchen was out of commission. They tend to watch their carbs so they loved it. Today, I’m running this to some new parents who could use a break from meal prep. A quick text was needed to see if they were lovers or haters of cilantro and whether to tone down the spice in the salad dressing and I was set.
Easily Adapted for Carnivores
Chicken or grilled shrimp would be wonderful additions especially if there needs to be substantial protein involved to be considered dinner (I speak from experience!). I dusted some chicken with salt, pepper, and some fajita seasoning before cooking, shredding, and adding to the mix for the young family. Stay tuned for the easy chocolate cookie bars I made for their dessert (on the blog in August). Even the hubby with his dessert repertoire of one dish (chocolate chip cookie bars) might be able to whip those up! For a fall or winter alternative, this Crockpot Fiesta Mexican Chicken & Rice would also be a hit!
PRO-Tip: Mix the salad dressings right in a liquid measuring cup. From there, it’s easy to pour into a container or right onto the salad.
Welcome to Progressive Eats, our virtual version of a Progressive Dinner Party. Our menu this month features all dishes that include our favorite herbs! We’ve got a great mix from a cocktail to desserts; all recipes showing just how versatile these garden favorites can be! Hosting this month is Laura from Mother Would Know.
If you’re unfamiliar with the concept, a progressive dinner involves going from house to house, enjoying a different course at each location. With Progressive Eats, a theme is chosen each month, members share recipes suitable for a delicious meal or party, and you can hop from blog to blog to check them out.
Summer Herbs Every Which Way
- Lemon Rosemary Shrub Cocktail from Mother Would Know
- Rosemary Potato Chips with Herb Aioli from The Red Head Baker
- Mayo-Free Chicken Salad Sandwiches with Lemon and Herbs from Healthy Delicious
- Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce (Gluten-Free) from The Heritage Cook
- Mexican Chopped Salad with Cilantro Vinaigrette from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Mexican Green Goddess Pasta Salad from Pastry Chef Online
- Rosemary Lemon Shortbread Cookies from Creative Culinary
- 2 1/2 cups shredded (or chopped) romaine lettuce
- 1 can black beans (12.5 ounces), drained and rinsed
- 1 cup diced tomatoes, or grape tomatoes, halved
- 3/4 cup chopped, peeled jicama
- 3/4 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed (or fresh sweet corn taken off the cob)
- Whole ripe avocado, diced
- 1 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4-1/2 cup queso fresco, crumbled
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons, chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon minced jalapeno
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- Mix all salad ingredients together in large bowl. In glass jar or measuring cup, mix together dressing ingredients, season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour dressing over salad, mix and serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 310Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 379mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 9gSugar: 9gProtein: 9g