Bacon Cheddar Cheese Dip
With nearly a score of guys coming for a cookout, this Bacon Cheddar Cheese Dip AKA Crack Dip was the perfect way to stave off their hunger. Served with buttery crackers, it’s a killer dip.
A twist on what’s also called Million Dollar Dip, this party appetizer was a breeze to throw together. With a name like that, it’s no wonder it was a huge hit.
Why This Bacon Cheddar Dip Works
Bill had a few high school friends in town over the weekend for a race at the Speedway. With a dinner planned with them for Saturday, the guest list suddenly expanded to his friends, plus a number of the race car drivers and their crew. 4 guests suddenly became 20!
- This easy, decadent “crack dip recipe” can be made in no time.
- The combination of mayonnaise, cream cheese, and sour cream is so much better than just sour cream as the base.
- It’s full of cheese and freshly cooked chopped bacon. Who doesn’t love that combo?
- You can serve it with simple Ritz crackers, potato chips, tortilla chips, gourmet crackers or toasts, or a crudite platter with carrots, red bell peppers, asparagus spears, cucumber, etc, for anyone wanting a lighter version.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Is It Called Crack Dip?
This dip is so good, it’s almost as addictive as crack! It’s also known as Millionaire Dip since it tastes like a million bucks.
Can You Make this Crack Dip Recipe Ahead of Time?
Yes, it keeps well, so feel free to make it the day before, cover, and keep refrigerated until you’re ready to serve it. The flavors will have time to meld which is a bonus.
How Do You Serve Crack Dip?
It’s delicious with any of your favorite dippers from crackers to chips to veggies. Make sure to keep it at room temperature for only 2 hours. If serving outdoors in the summer, you should keep it on ice to minimize the chance of food poisoning.
How Do You Store Million Dollar Dip?
It will keep for 3-4 days, covered and refrigerated as long as it hasn’t been held at room temperature for longer than 2 hours. If that is the case, toss any leftovers to prevent a food-borne illness.
What Other Dips Can You Make with Cream Cheese?
How to Make Crack Dip
Only the bacon needed to be cooked, otherwise, this bacon cheddar dip recipe just required dumping and mixing. This dip is ideal for summer gatherings, game day, and tailgates. Plus, when a dip is also known as Crack Dip or Million Dollar Dip, you know it has to be good!
Often made with just mayonnaise, I like the combo of cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise much better. This easy cold dip recipe will get rave reviews!
- Let your cream cheese sit out at room temperature for an hour or so before mixing. It will be much easier to blend when not fresh out of the refrigerator.
- Use a hand mixer to beat together the cream cheese, sour cream, and mayonnaise to save your arm muscles! PRO-Tip: If the mixture seems too thick, you can add some cream or milk to thin.
- I found a coarser packaged shredded Cheddar cheese (Sargento Reserve Series) for this dip that may not be available everywhere, but any shredded cheese will do. Locally, it’s found at Meijer.
- Other shredded cheeses would also work wonderfully like Monterey Jack, Colby, Cojack or even Pepper Jack for a little more heat.
- PRO-Tip: Cook and chop your own bacon. Bacon bits will not provide the same results as real bacon. Drain the cooked bacon on paper towels to get rid of excess grease.
- My family doesn’t like nuts, but the slivered almonds gave a nice crunch. Feel free to omit them.
More Dip Recipes You’ll Love:
Homemade Party Dips are terrific for all your entertaining needs whether a casual gathering of friends or a fancy dinner party. Most can be made ahead, like this crack dip, streamlining your menu preparation. This Bacon Onion Dip can be used as a burger condiment and a dip.
We love this homemade version of Sour Cream Spinach Dip so much better than using a packet to season. Baked Parmesan Crab Dip, Easy Queso Dip, Smoked Salmon Dip, Dill Pickle Dip, and Smoky Black Bean Dip are all fabulous starters, too.
- Cream Cheese – Use full fat
- Sour Cream – Use full fat
- Mayonnaise – I like Hellmann’s or Duke’s. Do not use salad dressing
- Hot sauce – I use Tabasco, but any favorite will do. If you really like heat, add some diced jalapenos.
- Scallions – Also known as green onions. Rinse well and peel off the outer layer as they’re often harboring some dirt.
- Bacon – Choose meaty bacon, cook, drain, and cool before chopping.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese – Use coarse instead of fine shred. Orange cheddar adds some nice color, but you may use white, too.
- Slivered Almonds – Gently toast in the oven or on the stovetop to bring out their natural oils. Omit if there are nut allergies or if your gang does not like nuts.
Don’t Forget to Subscribe!
Have you subscribed to my weekly newsletter? You’ll get the latest blog recipes plus some seasonal favorites delivered to your inbox every Saturday morning! And as a bonus, you’ll receive a series of 5 Tips & Recipes for Leveling Up Your Desserts! Of course, you can unsubscribe at any time!!
SUBSCRIBE HERE—> https://bit.ly/3tLQIcL
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise, I use Hellmann's
- 10 dashes hot sauce
- 3 scallions, white and some of the green part, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped cooked bacon
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, a coarser grated cheese preferred
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds, optional
- In a medium bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sour cream and mayonnaise until smooth. Add hot sauce and mix.
- Fold in the remaining ingredients until well dispersed. Add a little cream or milk if it seems too thick.
- Chill for 2 hours before serving with your favorite crackers.
Use full fat ingredients for the best results.
Use hot sauce to taste.
The almonds are optional. Toast them first if you have time to bring out their natural oils and flavor.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 346Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 16gCholesterol: 68mgSodium: 591mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 14g