Bourbon Bacon Jam
Bourbon Bacon Jam is a richly flavored condiment that is terrific paired with burgers, grilled cheese, crackers, and more!
You’ve probably heard of umami, the savory sense of taste, and this Bacon Onion Jam is packed full of it. Bacon, onions, garlic, bourbon, and balsamic vinegar all contribute to this gourmet spread.
Why You Must Make
- It’s still burger season and adding this bourbon bacon jam to your condiment offerings is a fun way to shake things up!
- Bacon jam can also be used as a dip. The jammy consistency is terrific with crackers, pretzels, and chips.
- It’s packed full of bacon!!!!
How to Make
- Fry the bacon until crisp and drain on paper towels.
- Cook shallots and onions in bacon fat until caramelized over medium heat. Add garlic and cook briefly.
- Add the chili powder and smoked paprika and stir.
- Deglaze the pan with the bourbon.
- Add the maple syrup and cook then the vinegar and brown sugar.
- Add chopped bacon and cook until it reaches a jammy consistency.
- Use lean bacon (I know, it’s an oxymoron!)
- Use real maple syrup. Artificial is a poor substitute.
- Be patient. There are layers and layers of flavor added, so it takes some time.
- Watch carefully at the end. Once it starts to look jammy, it’s done.
Frequently Asked Questions
Bacon Jam is a condiment that was made famous when Sonic introduced its Bacon Jam Cheeseburger. Bacon jam is made by combining caramelized onions, brown sugar, bacon, and more and cooking until it’s jammy.
It can be used as a condiment, dip, and more!
There can be numerous ingredients and seasonings added to the basic ingredients of bacon and onions including brown sugar, maple syrup, bourbon, garlic, and spices. It has to be cooked slowly so that the fat is rendered from the bacon and the onions and other aromatics caramelize.
It’s great on burgers, grilled cheese sandwiches, with crackers and cheese or part of a charcuterie board, as a dip, in an omelet, with waffles or pancakes, and more!
Since it’s not canned, but instead put in a canning jar to store, it must be refrigerated. It keeps in the fridge for up to 4 weeks. Otherwise, freeze it for up to 6 months.
You May Also Like
- BLT Pasta Salad from Barefeet in the Kitchen
- Bacon Wrapped Dates
- Bacon Crack Dip
- Brie BLT Sandwich
- You will also love my French Onion Marmalade
Stay in touch through social media @ Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest. Don’t forget to tag me when you try one of my recipes! And if you love the results, please give it a 5-star rating in the recipe card. Note: As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Visit my Amazon Store for my favorite products.
- 1 ½ pounds meaty bacon
- 2 cups finely chopped shallots
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ cup bourbon
- ½ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- Fry the bacon in two frying pans until crisp. Drain on paper towels and set aside.
- Leave 1-2 tablespoons of bacon fat in one of the pans. Add shallots and onions and cook until caramelized over medium heat. Add garlic and cook for a minute or two, until soft and fragrant.
- Add the chili powder and smoked paprika and stir.
- Increase the burner to high and carefully deglaze the pan with the bourbon.
- Add the maple syrup, bring to a boil, and stir, scraping the bottom of the pan to loosen the bits of bacon on the bottom of the pan. Boil for about 3 minutes.
- Add the vinegar and brown sugar, continue to cook for 4 minutes.
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and add to the mixture. Stir and simmer for 10 minutes until the mixture thickens and looks like jam. Add a little water if the mixture starts to look dry.
- Store in the refrigerator.
If the jam gets too thick while cooking, thin with a little water.
You may tear the bacon for a more rustic look.
Note that the bourbon can ignite if it gets too close to the flame of a gas burner, so use caution when deglazing the pan.
Recipe courtesy of Southern Recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 tablespoon
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 142Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 364mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 0gSugar: 7gProtein: 8g
Thatskinnychickcanbake.com occasionally offers nutritional information for recipes contained on this site. This information is provided as a courtesy and is an estimate only. This information comes from online calculators. Although thatskinnychickcanbake.com attempts to provide accurate nutritional information, these figures are only estimates. Varying factors such as product types or brands purchased can change the nutritional information in any given recipe. Also, many recipes on thatskinnychickcanbake.com recommend toppings, which may or may not be listed as optional and nutritional information for these added toppings is not listed. Other factors may change the nutritional information such as when the salt amount is listed “to taste,” it is not calculated into the recipe as the amount will vary. Also, different online calculators can provide different results. To obtain the most accurate representation of the nutritional information in any given recipe, you should calculate the nutritional information with the actual ingredients used in your recipe. You are solely responsible for ensuring that any nutritional information obtained is accurate.