Easy Smoked Salmon Dip with Capers
Smoked Salmon Dip is the perfect holiday party appetizer! With just five ingredients, this Easy Smoked Salmon Dip with Capers takes very little time to make and is deliciously addicting!
When the finickiest member of the family asks if there is more Salmon Dip, you know you’ve hit a home run. The bonus is two-fold, super easy to make, and a list of ingredients so small that you don’t need to write them down on your shopping list!
Why You Must Make
- There’s hardly a recipe out there with an ingredient list you can count on one hand. This caper-laden salmon dip recipe is definitely not short on flavor, though short on ingredients!!!
- With only five easy-to-find components, you can whip up a terrific appetizer in less than 10 minutes. It’s perfect for the busy holidays and entertaining!
- It’s nice to shake up your party menu with a salmon dip. Especially one that tastes amazing!
With only 5 ingredients, make sure you purchase good, quality ingredients for the best results.
- Smoked Salmon: Both lox and heat-smoked salmon will work.
- Sour Cream: Full fat gives a richer, creamier result, but if you need to watch your fat intake, low fat is better than no fat.
- Cream Cheese: Again, go with full fat. Philadelphia brand always outperforms generic.
- Worcestershire Sauce: Lea and Perrins is my go-to brand.
- Capers: These brined berries add a delicious saltiness and texture to the dip. Capers are a classic pairing with smoked salmon.
How to Make
It takes less than 10 minutes to flake or chop the salmon, mix up the sour cream, cream cheese, and Worcestershire before stirring in the salmon bits and capers. My loyal readers know the hubby is a tough sell, but he went nuts for this salmon spread recipe, as did I! It also makes a wonderful topping for bagels.
- Keep capers in your kitchen for both this recipe and an easy chicken piccata that’s perfect on busy weeknights. They come in brined or packed in salt, and both work. You’ll want to rinse off the excess salt before using that variety.
- You can use any type of smoked salmon.
- Make sure your cream cheese has a chance to come to room temperature so it easily mixes into the dip.
- Note: Most of the dip photos in this post are made with lox, not the heat-smoked salmon. I prefer the look of the lox with its more vibrant color.
How to Serve
This salmon dip is perfect with simple crackers. There’s so much flavor in the dip itself, there’s no need for fancy, flavored crackers. Potato chips are also a delicious pairing. For the healthier crowd, this salmon dip with cream cheese is lovely with vegetable dippers like carrots, cucumbers, and red bell peppers.
Don’t forget to garnish! It only takes a second and you’ll transform your bowl of dip into a restaurant-worthy appetizer. The rule of thumb is to use what’s in the recipe as the garnish, but I love the look of a fresh dill sprig. Large caper berries work well, too.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, this salmon dip is low-carb and would be a great snack for those on a keto diet. Just use fresh veggies to dip instead of crackers.
It will keep up to 4 days if stored covered in the refrigerator. If you happen to serve it at a party, and it’s out at room temperature longer than 2 hours, it’s not safe to keep. The chances of food poisoning escalate after the 2-hour mark.
The process is super easy. Room-temperature cream cheese, sour cream, and Worcestershire sauce are beaten together in a medium bowl. Then the chopped smoked salmon and drained capers are mixed in. The dip is better if the flavors are allowed to meld in the refrigerator for 2 hours before serving.
You May Also Like:
- Hot Crab Dip Recipe from Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
- Layered Taco Dip
- Easy Dill Pickle Dip
- Sour Cream Spinach Dip
- Fiesta Corn Dip
- More Appetizer Recipes
Easy Smoked Salmon Dip Recipe
With just five ingredients, this recipe for Smoked Salmon Dip with Capers takes very little time to make and is the perfect holiday party appetizer!
- 6 ounces smoked salmon, finely chopped or shredded ( I prefer lox)
- 4 ounces sour cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 dashes of Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup capers, drained
- Chop or shred smoked salmon depending on the style of smoked salmon purchased.
- In a medium bowl, beat together sour cream and cream cheese. Add Worcestershire sauce and mix well. Stir in salmon and capers.
- Refrigerate 2 hours before serving. Serve with crackers, bagels or favorite dippers.
Keep leftovers refrigerated.
Garnish with fresh dill or capers if desired.
Serving Size:2 tablespoons
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 77Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 21mgSodium: 311mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 3g
44 Comments on “Easy Smoked Salmon Dip with Capers”
I made this for a neighborhood party and it was not only simple but delicious.
So happy to hear this, Shannon! We love it, too!