August is when I can find Red Haven peaches, kissed with a gorgeous blush of color. Sweet and juicy eaten out of hand, these peaches are also heavenly baked into Fresh Peach Pie Bars.
Fresh Peach Pie Bars
I wait all summer till the local peaches are ripened to perfection, then put on my apron and bake up a storm. First on the agenda was a batch of crumb-topped peach bars. With a shortbread crust and a buttery streusel sandwiching the luscious peach slices, I knew the results would be nothing short of spectacular. The family made them disappear in a flash.
3 Simple Layers
Making pies can be a daunting task. Between rolling out the crust without tearing the pastry, laying the top crust without a fiasco, and making sure the filling is thick enough, but not too thick, are frequent worries! Every step has a potential fail. That’s why I love fruit filled bar cookies.
Starting with a simple press-in shortbread crust, followed by a layer of peach preserves and sliced peaches, then topped with a buttery streusel is the recipe for a much less stressful task. Plus the reward is a bar cookie that tastes like a classic peach pie! Bill, the consummate pie authority, raved about these bars. And I was happy not to sweat out the nerve-racking process of rolling out a crust!
You May Need:
More Fruit Bars:
- Raspberry Crumble Bars from Oh, Sweet Basil
- Apricot Bars from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Apple Pie Bars from Crunchy Creamy Sweet
- Apple Streusel Bars from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Oatmeal Lemon Blueberry Bars from She Wears Many Hats
Fresh Peach Pie Bars
All the flavors of a peach pie in these easy to make, streusel topped bar cookies!
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 42 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 12 minutes
- Yield: 16 servings
- Category: Dessert, Bar Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Dash of salt
- 6 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1/4 cup peach preserves (I used Bonne Maman)
- 2 cups fresh peach slices (2-3 peaches)
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons butter, cold and cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar, to sprinkle over peaches
- Preheat oven to 375º.
- Make the crust by combining ¾ cup flour, powdered sugar, salt, and 6 tablespoons of butter. Cut butter into dry ingredients till the butter is the size of small peas (may use a pastry blender or even a food processor). Sprinkle the mixture into the bottom of an 8 x 8-inch pan. Press into an even layer over the bottom of pan using your hands. Bake 10-12 minutes or till just starting to brown.
- When the crust is baked, spread preserves over the top. Set aside.
- Gently mix the peach slices with lemon juice. Toss the peaches with the four, cornstarch and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Make the streusel topping by mixing the remainder of the butter, flour and brown sugar using a pastry blender or food processor just till combined and crumbly.
- Arrange the peach slices, overlapping slightly if needed, in a single layer across the jam. Sprinkle with the 1 tablespoon of sugar. Sprinkle evenly with the streusel topping.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or the filling is bubbling and the topping is golden brown. Cool completely before cutting.
- This recipe can easily be doubled and baked in a 9 x 13-inch pan. Baking times remain the same.