Key Lime Pie Bars: A heavenly citrus treat made to feed a crowd! Each bite tastes like Key lime pie but without all the work!
Key Lime Pie Bars
The hubby loves his lemon desserts, but gives lime the cold shoulder. Really??? I love, love Key lime pie. The tart and creamy filling in a sweet graham cracker crust is a delightful pairing.
But I cannot make a whole pie for myself, can I???? Nope. But I hosted book club last month and made these delectable Key Lime Pie Bars. Citrusy squares topped with sweetened whipped cream and a slice of lime. SO good!!!
Tips for Making Key Lime Bars
- First you have to track down some of those small Key limes that come from Florida, California, Mexico or the Caribbean. PRO-Tip: But if you can’t locate any Key limes, regular Persian limes work well. They’re a bit more acidic, but much tastier and fresher tasting than the bottled Key lime juice.
- You will use both lime juice and zest in this Key Lime Pie Bars recipe. Don’t bother trying to zest your mini Key limes, as it’s much easier to use a standard lime and you’ll never know the difference.
- The crust is like your basic graham cracker crust. Either buy graham cracker crumbs or make your own by processing full sized graham crackers in a food processor. Those will be mixed with melted butter and a bit of sugar. This mixture is pressed onto the bottom of your prepared panpan, then baked.
- The Key lime filling is like the typical pie filling, made with juice, zest, egg yolks and a can of sweetened condensed milk. Mix and spread evenly with an offset spatula over the crust, then bake.
- For company, you may garnish each slice with a dollop of whipped cream and a thin slice of lime. A berry adds a nice contrast but isn’t necessary!
- This recipe can be doubled if you’d like to make a 9×13 Key Lime Pie Bars version.
More Citrus Recipes You’ll Love:
- Key Lime Pie Cookies from Grandbaby Cakes
- Key Lime Pie from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Key Lime Pound Cake from Barbara Bakes
- Meyer Lemon Streusel Bars from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Key Lime Pie Ice Cream from Your Home Based Mom
- More Dessert Recipes
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
- 1/2 cup Key lime juice (may use standard lime juice)
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- Whipped cream, Key lime slices, berries to garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line 8 inch square baking pan with non-stick foil, if desired. Set aside.
- Mix graham cracker crumbs, sugar and butter in small bowl. Press evenly onto bottom of prepared pan. Bake 10 minutes, then cool completely.
- Beat together egg yolks and zest on high speed till very thick, about 5 minutes. Add sweetened condensed milk and mix on low speed till combined, then increase speed and mix till thick, about 3 minutes. Add lime juice and mix on low till combined.
- Spread filling over crust and bake till filling is set, about 10 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting and garnishing with whipped cream, lime slices, and/or berries.
Serving Size:1 bar
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 238Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 61mgSodium: 138mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 26gProtein: 4g
I’m starting a new series of Skinny Tips. How I keep slim is one of my most frequent inquiries. I’ll feature tips on some of my upcoming blog posts.
Tip #1: Drink LOTS of water. Your hair and complexion will thank you plus it will help relieve your hunger pangs. I drink a ton of hot tea (ALL year round) and consider it part of my “water” intake.