These Meyer Lemon Streusel Bars have three incredible layers: a buttery shortbread crust, a lemon curd filling, and a sugar cookie crumble topping. A scrumptious twist on the classic lemon bars!
Meyer Lemon Streusel Bars
I bake a bazillion chocolate desserts, so it’s nice to shake things up a bit with some lemon treats. Lemon bars are typically two layers and a breeze to toss together. But it’s definitely worth the extra effort to top these citrusy gems with some streusel, especially this crisp sugar cookie streusel.
What are Meyer Lemons?
Plus, for a change of pace, I nabbed some Meyer lemons, a sweeter cousin to the standard lemon. Meyer lemons are actually a cross between the standard lemon and either a regular orange or a mandarin. Feel free to decrease the sugar in the filling if you want a bit more pucker in your bars or substitute your garden variety lemons, especially if it’s not Meyer lemon season in your neck of the woods. But, I must say, these Meyer lemon Streusel Bars were terrific!
Tips and Tricks
If you’ve visited my blog before, you may have noticed that I always line my baking pan with aluminum foil when making cookie bars. The foil creates a “sling” in which to lift out the bars for easy cutting. Chilling your bars first makes the transfer and cutting much easier.
I also spray the foil with PAM Cooking Spray so if the lemon filling oozes over the crust, the bars will not stick to the pan! Plus it makes clean up a snap. Keep this in mind when you plan your holiday meals.
You know you’ll have a sink full of dishes, and anything you can do to prevent sticky spills and crusty residue on your pans will make life so much easier. Just ask my hubby, the resident dishwasher.
PAM Cooking Spray leaves *99% less residue than margarine or bargain-brand cooking sprays, so your dishes will turn out great and you’ll spend less time cleaning up (* vs. leading cooking sprays (except olive oil), after spraying on glass bakeware, baking at 400°F for 30 min, cooling, and then washing in standard home dishwasher with detergent and repeating 4 times.)
Make sure you always have a good stash of PAM Cooking Spray in your pantry. Less time dealing with dirty dishes means more time with your family and friends!
- PAM Cooking Spray
- 2 cups flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 eggs, whisked together
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon Meyer lemon zest
- 1/4 cup fresh Meyer lemon juice
- 1 1/4 cups sugar
- Line 9 x 13 pan with aluminum foil and spray with PAM Cooking Spray. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350º. To make the dough, combine flour, sugar and baking powder in a bowl and stir to combine. Add butter pieces and using your fingers pinch and rub the butter till it's totally worked into flour (no big pieces will be visible).
- Mix eggs into the dough until well incorporated. Knead gently in the bowl till dough comes together. On a floured surface roll dough to a 12 x 16-inch rectangle. Fit into the prepared 9 x 13 pan and trim so there's just a1/2 inch edge going up sides of pan. Put a rectangle of parchment on bottom crust and weigh down with dried beans or pie weights. Bake 10 minutes. Remove parchment and beans and bake 5 more minutes. Cool on rack.
- To make topping, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add melted butter and combine with a rubber spatula. Spread out on baking sheet, breaking into small crumbs. Bake 15-20 minutes, till golden brown. Cool on rack. If necessary, break apart into small crumbs when cool.
- To make filling, whisk eggs and zest in a bowl. Mix lemon juice and sugar in another bowl to dissolve sugar. Stir egg and juice mixtures together. Pour over crust and bake 15-20 minutes. Sprinkle with crumb topping and bake an additional 5 minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack, then cut into bars.
Standard lemons may be substituted for Meyer lemons.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 212Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 59mgSodium: 118mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 17gProtein: 3g