This retro Creme de Menthe Cake recipe came from my mom. Mint infused cake, a layer of fudge and minty cream create a dreamy combo!
Based on my mom’s super easy recipe from the 1970’s, I nixed the Cool Whip for real whipped cream. Plus this Grasshopper Cake can be made with a cake mix or a white cake from scratch, depending on how much time you want to spend in the kitchen.
Creme de Menthe Cake
Those midweek calls from our oldest are usually paired with a request. He was invited to a Thursday night BBQ and he was wondering what treats I had lurking in the freezer. He was plum out of luck as I had made two desserts for my book club dinner that night, and there was nothing to spare. I was nearly baked out, but I remembered doctored up cake mix recipe that was always a crowd pleaser: Creme de Menthe Cake.
Easy Grasshopper Cake
This is one simple mint dessert. A box of white cake mix, jar of fudge sauce, whipped cream and creme de menthe, a mint liqueur, were the basic ingredients. Eggs, water, oil and the liqueur were added to the mix and baked up in a 9 x 13 pan.
Topped with fudge, then minty whipped cream and voila, a dreamy grasshopper cake! The circa 1970’s recipe was topped with Cool Whip, but I prefer real whipped cream stabilized with a packet of Whip It. Dazzle the mint fans in your life with this yummy cake mix cake recipe!
How to Make a Creme de Menthe Cake
For years, I made this grasshopper AKA creme de menthe cake using a box mix. It’s a ridiculously easy recipe, especially my mom’s recipe topped with creme de menthe spiked Cool Whip instead of whipped cream. So feel free to take the easy route and it will still be a delicious mint cake.
- I like using a Duncan Hines white cake mix for this grasshopper cake.
- If you’d like to make this dessert from scratch, I’ve used this terrific White Cake Recipe in lieu of the box mix. Remove 3 tablespoons of the buttermilk and add the 3 tablespoons of creme de menthe to provide the mint flavor. Bake as directed.
- Use an extra half jar of fudge sauce to make a thicker chocolate layer. Fudge sauces are now made to pour so will not necessarily make a solid layer when refrigerated. A homemade fudge sauce will be thicker.
- I prefer the taste of Mrs. Richardson’s Fudge Sauce, but it oozed more than when I used Hershey’s brand.
- The minty topping was originally an 8-ounce tub of Cool Whip flavored with creme de menthe.
- It will work in a pinch, but I prefer the flavor of homemade whipped cream or a homemade whipped topping like in the recipe below.
- Green food coloring will intensify the green color.
More Mint Recipes You’ll Love:
- Frozen Grasshopper Pie
- Easy Grasshopper Mousse
- Shamrock Shooters
- Peppermint Hot Chocolate
- Grasshopper Cheesecake Bars
- Swirled Peppermint Bark
- Peppermint Bark Snowflakes
- More Dessert Recipes
This post was first shared in July, 2015. The text and photos were updated in 2019.Print
Creme de Menthe Cake
A super simple, yet impressive cake that starts with a box mix and ends a triple layered delight!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 28 minutes
- Total Time: 58 minutes
- Yield: 20 servings 1x
- Category: Dessert, Cake
- Method: Mixing, Baking
- Cuisine: American
- 1 box white cake mix (I used Duncan Hines brand)
- Oil (amount listed on box)
- Water (amount listed on box, then remove 3 tablespoons)
- 3 tablespoons creme de menthe (green mint liqueur)
- 2 whole eggs (instead of eggs listed on box)
- 2–3 drops of green food coloring, optional
- 1 jar of fudge topping
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons creme de menthe
- Preheat oven to 350º. Grease a 9 x 13 pan and set aside.
- Mix cake mix according to package instructions using 2 eggs and removing 3 tablespoons of water from the water called for on box. Add creme de menthe along with the water. If you’d like a greener cake, add a few drops of green food coloring.
- When mixture is smooth, scrape it into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake according to the box instructions.
- When cake is done a toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean. Cool cake completely.
- When cake is cool, carefully spread fudge sauce over top.
- Whip cream to soft peaks. In another large bowl, whip the powdered sugar, cream cheese and creme de menthe until lightened and smooth. Stir in whipped cream and whip to firm peaks. Spread over fudge.
- Chill for 4 hours before serving.
The total amount of liquid used in the cake will be the same as what was called for on the box. You will need to remove 3 tablespoons of water from what is listed on the box and replace it will 3 tablespoons of creme de menthe.
Use a homemade white cake baked in a 9 x 13- inch pan instead of a cake mix if desired. Just add the creme de menthe to the batter.
Total time does not include cooling and chilling times.
Photos from the Food & Wine Conference, 2015