Again, Bill was scrounging in the pantry for Oreos and I knew I needed to make a new dessert. This rich Chocolate Ice Cream with Fudge Sauce was the perfect way to end the meal on a hot, humid summer’s day!
Chocolate Ice Cream with Fudge Sauce
With its deep chocolate flavor, and rich and silky smooth texture, you’ll adore this chocolate ice cream. And to make this dessert even more sublime, I adding a luscious chocolate topping. Although the addition of the fudge sauce could cause you to lapse into a diabetic coma, that recipe is definitely worth sharing as well.
My friend, Sharon, drops off a jar every Valentine’s Day, and it’s been a sensational topper for both ice cream and cake this month. This is the second marvelous recipe I’ve tried from David Lebovitz’s The Perfect Scoop: Ice Creams, Sorbets, Granitas, and Sweet Accompaniments, and it won’t be the last.
Rich Chocolate Ice Cream
You’ll definitely need to make this luscious, rich Chocolate Ice Cream with Fudge Sauce to kick off the summer. It’s guaranteed to help you beat the heat, though I don’t think my family would snub it mid-winter, either!!
For Ice Cream:
- 2 1/4 cups heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons Dutch process cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 6 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
For Fudge Sauce:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8 t salt
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee, optional
- 1/3 cup cocoa
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 tablespoons rum
To make ice cream:
- Combine cream, cocoa, sugar and salt in large saucepan. Heat while whisking till the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and add the chocolate, whisking till melted, then add milk and vanilla. David recommends pouring the mixture into a blender and processing for about 30 seconds to make sure no unmelted chocolate particles remain.
- Chill in refrigerator overnight or till very cold. Freeze using ice cream maker, following manufacturers instructions.
To make Fudge Sauce:
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients. In a sauce pan, combine butter and cream and heat until the butter has melted. Add dry ingredients to the cream mixture, constantly whisking. Boil, stirring constantly until thick and smooth, about 5 minutes. Add vanilla and rum. Cool and refrigerate unused portion.
- Can be reheated in a microwave, as needed.
Serving Size:1/2 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 0Total Fat: 0g