I first made these Turkey Sliders with Roasted Tomatoes for our dinner one night. Bill raved about them—I think they were our first ever turkey burgers. But I also think these would be ideal for a Super Bowl gathering.
The only complaints about these mini turkey burgers would be if I didn’t add them to our menu again soon!
By now, I think you all know how much I love to make desserts. The more decadent, the better. But I also have a penchant for creating yummy appetizers. I’ve hosted my book club about 15 times and besides a buffet of sweet nibbles, I love to add savory appetizers to the mix. I have a slew of recipes in my collection.
Mini Burgers for Game Day
If I were to host a Super Bowl party, brownies and cookies would definitely be on the menu. But with Valentine’s Day approaching, there’s been a lot of chocolate melting and cocoa dust in my kitchen. It was time for something savory, and these Turkey Sliders with Roasted Tomatoes were perfect. The football watching crew at my house would approve of noshing on these mini turkey burgers on every game day!
I have some dear, on-line foodie friends. We share recipes on a number of websites…and a few have their own blogs. It was one of these friends who shared these mini-turkey burgers. Linda also was the genius who added roasted plum tomatoes to the mix, perfect for the mid-winter when the tomato selection is pitiful.
We actually ate these for dinner, but they’d be perfect for a Super Bowl buffet. Cook them up right before half time, and your guests will be thrilled. These Honey Garlic Chicken Sliders are another fabulous alternative!
- 2 slices white sandwich bread, pulsed in food processor to make bread crumbs
- 1 pound ground turkey (dark meat)
- 1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 party-size rolls
- 6 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise, cores and seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 large garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Mix turkey, bread crumbs cheese,onion, salt and pepper. Mix just till combined. Form about 12 patties, about 2-inches in diameter.
- In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook patties until browned and cooked through. Serve on rolls with lettuce, roasted tomatoes and condiments of your choice.
To make tomatoes:
- Preheat the oven to 450º.
- Arrange the tomatoes on a sheet pan, cut sides up.. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Sprinkle tomatoes with the garlic, sugar, salt, and pepper. Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, until the tomatoes soften and start to caramelize. Serve warm or at room temperature on your sliders