Classic Cranberry Pecan Bread is perfect for the holidays. The sweet-tart, crunchy-crispy components of this cranberry quick bread recipe make this a loaf to remember!
Cranberry Pecan Bread: The Perfect Seasonal Loaf
I remember the first time I made a cranberry nut bread. It was Thanksgiving, Tom was almost 2 and Katie was a newborn. And I was hosting Thanksgiving.
It was easier for family to come to us than for us to pack up the mounds of baby gear and travel. I was fearless in the kitchen and I knew my MIL and Bill’s aunt would work their magic and help me out with the perfect mashed potatoes and gravy.
I baked up a loaf of this classic cranberry pecan bread as I already knew that the hubby would never even take a bite and that his family would. I used the cranberry loaf recipe on the back of the bag of Ocean Spray fresh cranberries and it was tasty. But I knew it could be improved upon by using butter instead of oil, buttermilk plus toasted pecans for the ultimate loaf.
A Seasonal Quick Bread Recipe
This cranberry pecan loaf is perfect for any morning holiday gathering or on Christmas morning. I served this when I hosted some neighbor friends for a cookie exchange.
I was planning to up the cranberries to 1 1/2 cups, but got distracted and only added a cup. If you want more berries than in my photos, feel free to use the larger amount in the recipe. Mr. Skinny Chick still won’t touch this classic cranberry pecan bread, but I have plenty of friends who will.
Supplies Needed to Make Cranberry Nut Bread:
Cranberry pecan bread is an easy quick bread to make, but you may want or need these supplies to help you make it:Print
Cranberry Pecan Bread
The perfect cranberry quick bread recipe!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 loaf
Recipe adapted from Cook’s Illustrated:
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1-2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1-1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped (I just cut each into about 3 pieces)
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 375º. Spray 9 x 5-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray (I used Baker’s Joy).
- In a small bowl, stir together orange juice, orange zest, buttermilk, butter and egg. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add liquids and stir with a rubber spatula until just moistened. Mix in cranberries and nuts, being careful not to over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and use an offset spatula to smooth the top. Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce heat to 350º. Bake for about 45 minutes longer or till toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cool loaf in pan for about 10 minutes, then turn out onto wire rack and let cool completely.