Your kitchen will be filled with an amazing aroma while this Slow Cooker Beef Stew with Mushrooms simmers its way to deliciousness. This post is sponsored by the Certified Angus Beef ® brand in conjunction with a social media campaign through Sunday Supper LLC. All opinions are my own.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew with Mushrooms
The end of December brought bitterly cold temperatures, and this slow cooker beef stew with mushrooms was a tasty way to warm up from the inside out! And boy, did it hit the spot with layers of flavor from the browned beef, sauteed aromatics, red wine and earthy mushrooms.
Serve this Slow Cooker Beef Stew with Mushrooms with:
- Cinnamon Spiced Applesauce
- Twice Baked Potatoes
- Brussels Sprouts with Bacon, Shallots and Garlic
- Yeast Roll Knots
Delicious Depth of Flavor
Have you ever had a slow cooker meal that was bland? Where no flavors stood out, but instead, all fell short? Well, I’ve instituted a couple steps that ensure this beef stew will knock your socks off.
- Brown your beef before adding it to the slow cooker. It’s the Maillard reaction that translates to more flavor in your final product.
- Season your beef before browning. Salt is a flavor enhancer and it should be layered. Only adding salt right before serving will not be as effective.
- Alcohol is also a flavor enhancer. I added red wine to this recipe. Most of the alcohol will evaporate during the long cooking time, so it’s OK to feed this stew to children.
- I also browned the onions and cooked the garlic before adding them to the slow cooker. The caramelization (again, the Maillard reaction) could not happen without this extra step.
- A double dose of mushrooms helped up the “meaty” taste of this hearty beef stew.
- Use quality ingredients. I found organic carrots that tasted like the garden carrots of my childhood. Plus, I purchased the top of the line beef, a Certified Angus Beef® chuck roast and cut it into stew meat.
Certified Angus Beef® Brand
If you think all beef is alike, you need to pick up some Certified Angus Beef® ! We had the BEST beef tenderloin ever for Christmas this year. Super tender with excellent flavor.
Their standards are more stringent than any other beef available and you can tell the difference from your first bite. Check their Store Locator to find the nearest market near you. Market District and Meijer are the retailers near me.
More Slow Cooked Entrees You’ll Love:
- Slow-Cooker Copycat Chipotle Barbacoa from Foodie with Family
- Slow Cooker Beef Tips and Gravy from Wishes and Dishes
- Slow Cooker Chicken Chili from Spend with Pennies
- Slow Cooker Drip Beef Sandwiches from Valerie’s Kitchen
- Best Fall Crockpot Recipes from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
Crockpot Beef Stew with Mushrooms
Your kitchen will be filled with an amazing aroma while this Slow Cooker Beef Stew with Mushrooms simmers its way to deliciousness.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 8 hours
- Total Time: 8 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Category: Entree, Beef, Stew
- 3- 3 1/2 pound Certified Angus Beef® chuck roast, trimmed of fat and cut into 1-inch pieces to make about 2 pounds stew meat
- 1/4 cup flour, I use Wondra
- 1+ teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 ounces pearl onions, tough exterior skin removed
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 pound carrots, trimmed, peeled and cut into chunks
- 8 ounces button mushrooms, cut in half
- 5 ounces sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 1 cup good quality beef broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
Add meat to a large ziptop bag. Add [easyazon_link identifier="B00FVFR5MU" locale="US" tag="thskchcaba-20"]flour[/easyazon_link], 1 teaspoon kosher salt, 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper, and thyme. Shake bag to coat all meat pieces with flour.
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pan and sear all sides of the chuck pieces. Add about half to the pan at a time, so pieces have room to brown. Add more olive oil to brown the rest of the meat, if needed.
Place the browned meat in a [easyazon_link identifier="B003UV8L6Q" locale="US" tag="thskchcaba-20"]5 quart slow cooker[/easyazon_link].
In the pan that you cooked the beef, add onions and cook until browned. Add another tablespoon of olive oil if needed. Add garlic and saute until fragrant. Add to crock pot along with carrots and mushooms.
Whisk together, beef broth, tomato paste and wine. Pour into slow cooker and gently mix to combine.
Cover and cook on low for about 8 hours or until meat is tender and shreds easily.
Remove meat and vegetables to serving platter.
Skim fat from the juices, then add to a saucepan and reduce to 1 1/2-2 cups. Check for seasoning and add more salt and/or pepper if needed. Drizzle meat and vegetables with sauce.
- Calories: 499kcal
- Sugar: 9g
- Sodium: 795mg
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Carbohydrates: 22g
- Fiber: 5g
- Protein: 57g
- Cholesterol: 157mg