Cinnamon Spiced Applesauce
Homemade Applesauce is SO easy to make and makes your house smell like autumn. This Cinnamon Spiced Applesauce can be tweaked perfectly for your taste buds!
Homemade Cinnamon Spiced Applesauce
Have you ever thought of making your own applesauce? This was a staple at my in-law’s house when we used to visit. Paired perfectly with pork chops or a roast, it was also a favorite of their 3 grandchildren. I would often lend a hand and help cook up a batch and this recipe reflects how my mother-in-law made hers.
Want a healthy version? Buy sweeter apples and limit the sugar you add. Like more than a whisper of cinnamon? Increase the amount. Love it chunky? No problem. This is a highly adaptable recipe. I prefer a mix of two apples for more depth of flavor, but any cooking apple will do.
How to Use Homemade Applesauce
I had a recipe for an upcoming post that called for applesauce. I eyeballed the ingredients of a top brand and saw both high fructose corn syrup AND corn syrup on the label. I could certainly create something much more wholesome. Having control of the ingredients, sweetness, and spices makes for a made-to-order result.
Taste and tweak to make the perfect applesauce for you and your crew. The amount of sugar and cinnamon is to taste. Check out the Chaussons aux Pommes, or French apple turnovers, I created with this lovely Cinnamon Spiced Applesauce. I also love perusing apple roundups which feature all sorts of delicious seasonal recipes!
Used in This Recipe:
More Apple Recipes You’ll Love:
- Whole Wheat Applesauce Bread with Walnuts from Rachel Cooks
- Apple and Caramel Spice Cake from Pint Sized Baker
- Applesauce Cinnamon Oat Muffins from Barbara Bakes
- Old Fashioned Apple Cobbler
- Compote de Pommes
- Perfect Apple Pie
- Brown Sugar Apple Bread
- Cranberry Apple Bread
- How to Make a Rose Tart
- Plus, More Side Dish Recipes
- 8 cooking apples (I used 4 Granny Smiths and 4 Golden Delicious)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup sugar (may adjust to taste)
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2-1 teaspoon cinnamon, optional
- Lemon juice, to taste, optional
- Peel, core and slice or chop apples. Place apples in large saucepan with water and sugar.
- Mix and simmer, stirring frequently and mashing with potato masher when apples start to soften. When your sauce is the consistency you desire (will take 20-30 minutes), taste for sweetness, and add more sugar if desired. Add cinnamon and taste, adding more if desired. Add a touch of lemon juice if applesauce seems too sweet.
If your applesauce is too sweet, try a small squeeze of lemon juice to balance the flavors.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 192Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 26mgCarbohydrates: 51gFiber: 6gSugar: 42gProtein: 1g