I’ve been making this Prosciutto Wrapped Shrimp for years. Marinated in basil, lemon, garlic and wine, this recipe converted Bill into a shrimp lover!
Prosciutto Wrapped Shrimp
Yes, I know you loyal readers have heard this all before, but I’m married to one of the world’s pickiest eaters. There’s no rhyme or reason to his long list of disliked foods.
When it comes to seafood, he would only eat canned salmon or tuna, and mainly in a casserole. Hard to believe, isn’t it. It took wrapping shrimp in Italian ham and grilling it before I converted him to a shrimp lover!
The Best Shrimp Marinade Plus a Few Tips:
This recipe involves two simple steps, marinating and grilling. First, I needed a flavorful marinade.
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice is imperative. Bottled juice just won’t do!
- Whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, white wine, Dijon mustard, garlic and chopped basil, then bathe the shrimp in the liquid gold. Like with the lemon juice, use fresh basil, not dried for the best flavor.
- Marinate the shrimp for about 2 hours. If you marinate too long, like overnight, the acid in the lemon juice can break down the proteins and make for mushy shrimp.
- Grill just until the shrimp lose their translucency. Overcooking the shrimp will make them dry and tough.
After a couple hours in the marinade, these plump shrimp were wrapped with a basil leaf and a paper thin slice of prosciutto. Finally, they were grilled for about 3-6 minutes, depending on the heat of your grill. Perfection!
More Shrimp Recipes You’ll Love:
- Cajun Shrimp Fettucine Alfredo from Nutmeg Nanny
- Shrimp & Orange Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette
- Shrimp and Grits
- Grilled Shrimp Scampi
- Shrimp Fajitas
- Rosemary Prosciutto Shrimp
- Seafood Recipes
Prosciutto Wrapped Shrimp with Basil Lemon Marinade
Marinated and grilled shrimp wrapped in basil and prosciutto.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 6 mins
- Total Time: 36 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer, Seafood
- Method: Grilling
- Cuisine: American
- 3/4 cup white wine (I used a Sauvignon Blanc)
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- 24 jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 12 slices prosciutto, cut in half length-wise
- 24 basil leaves
- Whisk together, wine, olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon, garlic and basil. Add shrimp, toss, and marinate 1-3 hours in the refrigerator.
- When ready to grill, remove from the refrigerator. Wrap a basil leaf around the middle of the shrimp, then a slice of the prosciutto. Thread onto skewers.
- Grill until the shrimp loses it’s translucency, about 3 minutes per side (will vary depending on the size of your shrimp and the temperature of your grill). Serve hot.
Adapted from The Silver Palate Goodtimes Cookbook.
My Taste Testers