An easy rice dish is the perfect way to round out any meal. This Italian Rice Pilaf with Toasted Almonds is simple enough for a weeknight meal, yet impressive enough for company!
Italian Rice Pilaf with Toasted Almonds
This Italian Rice Pilaf has been an Indianapolis favorite since it appeared in our out of print, Junior League cookbook, Winners: Winning Recipes from the Junior League of Indianapolis. I’ve had it at dinner parties and made it for company. Cooked in the oven, this rice is easy to make ahead, park in the fridge, then bake up when guests arrive.
Easy Side Dish
When planning a dinner menu, whether for a big family gathering or a dinner party, I love easy, make ahead dishes. I love to focus on an unforgettable entree and a spectacular dessert. The rest should be delicious, memorable, yet easy! So it’s great to have a handful of terrific side dishes that can practically be made blind folded. Well, maybe not that easy since there is some mushroom sauteing involved!
The almonds can be toasted ahead of time, then the rice, mushrooms, onions and season cooked in butter, before pouring it all into a baking dish. The broth and almonds are added, then the whole shebang is popped in the oven. As Ina would say, “How easy is that???”
Do you have a favorite, easy side dish? Any delicious, simple rice recipes?
- Bacon Mushroom Risotto is another marvelous side dish, but it does require a little tending time, so it’s best paired with an easy entree.
- Cheesy Spinach Rice
- French Potato Gratin
- Cheesy Garlic Bread
- Herb Garlic Bread
- German Spaetzel
- More Side Dish Recipes
Used in This Recipe:
- Round Quiche Dish
- Measuring Cups and Spoons, Set of 8 Measuring Cups and Spoons, Set of 8
- Pyrex 1-Quart Measuring Cup
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1 cup rice (I use long grain)
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3/4 cup chopped green onions, plus more to garnish if desired
- 2 2/3 cups chicken broth (use vegetable broth for a vegetarian dish)
- 3/4 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease a 2 quart baking dish. Set aside.
- Met butter in a large skillet. Stir in rice, mushrooms, bell pepper, Italian seasoning and green onions. Stir and cook until the mushrooms are tender.
- Pour rice mixture into baking dish. Stir in broth and almonds.Cover tightly with foil and bake for 1 hour. Check to see if rice is cooked and broth is absorbed. Cook longer if needed.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 349Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 41mgSodium: 177mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 2gSugar: 2gProtein: 5g