Move over scalloped potatoes, this dreamy Pommes Dauphinois AKA French Potato Gratin is the king of potato casseroles! Kissed with thyme and topped with a nutty Gruyere cheese, this gratin is perfect for holidays, Sunday family dinners and more.
I’m usually lazy when it comes to adding potatoes to the menu. Baked or sliced and fried are my fall back methods. On occasion I’d whip up this scrumptious Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole Recipe. But some meals call for a more gourmet treat.
French Potato Gratin
Rich and creamy, flavored with garlic and a touch of thyme, Dorie Greenspan’s French Potato Gratin cannot be rivaled. Thinly sliced potatoes are bathed in cream and topped with a generous sprinkle of Gruyere cheese. It’s best in small quantities, even though you’ll want seconds and thirds!
Around My French Table
I first shared this recipe in 2010 as part of my collaboration with Dorie Greenspan and her cookbook, Around My French Table. It was our 6th week of French Fridays with Dorie. The family was smitten and it became my go-to potato dish for holidays.
You may not want to mention the amount of cream when you serve this to friends and family. This French Potato Gratin is definitely a special occasion dish. And an exquisite one at that.
More Potato Dishes You’ll Love:
- Loaded Mashed Potato Cakes from Spend with Pennies
- Cheesy Potato Galette from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Homemade Sweet Potato Chips from Rachel Cooks
- Hasselback Potatoes with Parmesan and Thyme
- Crispy Cheese and Bacon Potatoes from Barefeet in the Kitchen
Holiday Casserole Recipes #SundaySupper
- Apple Crumble French Toast Casserole by Pies and Plots
- Holiday Breakfast Casserole by The Freshman Cook
- Sausage Breakfast Casserole with Crescent Rolls by Sunday Supper Movement
- Christmas Chilaquiles with Eggs by Our Good Life
- Buttery Baked Bread Dressing by Food Lust People Love
- Collard Greens Au Gratin by Soulfully Made
- French Potato Gratin by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Ham & Cheese Corn Casserole (Spoon Bread) by Palatable Pastime
- Leftover Turkey Noodle Casserole by Crickets Confections
- Lower Carb Green Bean Casserole by Positively Stacey
- Simple Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole (Dairy-Free) by Bites of Wellness
- Turkey and Noodles by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Brussels Sprouts Gratin with Quinoa by The Wimpy Vegetarian
- Cheesy Orzo Pasta Bake by Caroline’s Cooking
- Mexican Cornbread Casserole by Restless Chipotle
- Shrimp Pineapple Rice Casserole by Sue’s Nutrition Buzz
- Make Ahead Spaghetti Western Chili Casserole by Kudos Kitchen by Renee
You Might Like:
French Potato Gratin #FrenchFridayswithDorie
A exquisite creamy potato casserole kissed with garlic, thyme and topped with Gruyere cheese!
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 10 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- 1 3/4 cups heavy cream
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1/4 pounds potatoes, peeled, cut into 1/8-inch-thick rounds (I use Yukon gold or russets)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Whole milk, if needed
- 1 cup grated Gruyère cheese
- Preheat to 350°. Generously butter 2 quart baking dish. Place pie dish on rimmed baking sheet. Combine cream and garlic in small saucepan and bring to simmer over low heat. Cover and remove from heat.
- Arrange ⅓ of potato rounds, slightly overlapping, in the prepared baking dish; sprinkle with ½ teaspoon thyme and season lightly with salt and pepper. Pour ½ cup garlic cream over. Repeat layering 2 more times with remaining potato, thyme, salt, pepper, and garlic cream. Pour remaining garlic cream over, then ¼ cup milk. Sprinkle cheese over the surface.
- Bake gratin until golden on top and potatoes are very tender when a sharp knife is inserted, 1 hour to 1 hour 10 minutes (cover with foil if the top starts browning too quickly). Let the potatoes rest 10 minutes before serving.