Poinsettia Cookies – Fun and festive, these are classic sugar cookies with a few extra cuts and folds! Some red sprinkles and nonpareils transform these Poinsettia Cookies into floral pinwheels.
Today I’m honored to be guest posting for my sweet friend, Roxana, of A Treats Affair. Roxana is featuring 25 Christmas recipes during this countdown to the holidays, many from her blogger friends, o get prepared to be inspired! Roxana is a fantastic baker, so I’m certain I will find new ideas to add to my Christmas baking list. I love this fun twist on a classic sugar cookie recipe. Just a few cuts and folds create these beautiful, festive Poinsettia Cookies!
I’m actually going to meet Roxana this weekend at Mixed,an amazing food blogger conference held at a resort in mountains of Virginia. I’m so excited to attend my first blogger event. I hope to pick up some tips to improve my blog, but even more thrilling is the chance to meet some foodie friends in person!!!! Kim, of Cravings of a Lunatic, and I will meet up at the airport. I have a feeling there won’t be a dull moment from that moment on! Thanks, Roxana, for inviting me to share a holiday cookie with your readers.
- 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour, plus extra for rolling out dough
- Red sugar
- Silver dragées
- Beat butter, cream cheese, and powdered sugar till well combined. Add egg yolk, vanilla and almond extract and mix till combined. Lightly beat egg white and reserve for later.
- Mix in flour, baking powder and salt, just till combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate one hour.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Line baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll half the dough slightly wider than 9 x 9 and about 1/8 inch thick. Using pizza cutter or knife, trim dough into a 9 x 9-inch square and then cut the square into nine 3 x 3-inch squares. Put about 6 squares per baking sheet. Brush each square lightly with egg whites. Sprinkle red sugar in the center of the square. Next, cut the dough diagonally from each corner to about 1/2 inch from the center (4 cuts per square). Fold alternate corners of the square to the center to form a pinwheel. Press points gently to seal. Place 3 dragées in the center of each cookie and add more red sugar as needed. Repeat, rerolling any scraps of dough as needed, till all dough is used.
- Place the cookie sheet containing the shaped and unbaked cookies in the refrigerator for a few minutes if the dough gets warm and soft. Bake 9-12 minutes or till set. Remove cookies to a wire rack to cool.
Here is a link to my favorite sugar cookie recipe.