Chicken Salad with Grapes
Tired of the same old lunch? Try this Chicken Salad with Grapes recipe jazzed up with dried cherries, grapes, and pecans. It’s absolutely irresistible!
If you haven’t tried a Fruity Chicken Salad, you’ll love the pop of sweetness, plus crunch from the nuts and tart chewiness from the cherries!
Why You Must Make
I hate to brag, but this is one fabulous chicken salad recipe. There’s nothing complicated about it. The prep entails a bit of chopping and stirring, but it’s the proportions that are key.
- It’s super easy to make!
- The addition of sour cream and lemon juice for balance makes for a delicious recipe.
- The add-ins including fruit and nuts can be tweaked according to your preferences.
I always prefer a smidgen of sour cream to cut the mayo in these sorts of salads. And a little acidity from the lemon juice helps balance the flavors. The add-ins are up to you. Leave out the nuts if that’s not your thing. I’d have to remove the pecans and cherries if serving this to my family, but this batch of chicken salad with grapes was for me!
- PRO-Tip: If you’re following a low-carb diet, this can be eaten as a salad over lettuce.
- Use leftover chicken, rotisserie chicken, or roast up a few chicken breasts to slice or shred.
- Add ingredients that will contrast with the flavor and texture of the chicken—crunchy nuts, fruit, crisp vegetables like diced/minced celery, chewy dried cherries, or raisins.
- It’s easy to swap out the pecans for walnuts, the dried cherries for raisins, etc.
- PRO-Tip: Toast your nuts briefly in the oven or in a saute pan to enhance their flavor by warming their essential oils.
- PRO-Tip: Use a squeeze of lemon juice to brighten the flavor and help balance the richness of the dressing. A touch of curry powder is a tasty option, too.
- PRO-Tip: Instead of straight mayonnaise in the dressing, use a touch of sour cream or even plain yogurt to balance the flavor.
- If you’re making sandwiches ahead of time, put lettuce on the bottom to help keep the dressing from making a soggy bun.
- Offer mini croissants, soft rolls, or sliced bread along with the chicken salad to make sandwiches.
Frequently Asked Questions
Since chicken salad has a rich, creamy dressing, it goes best with lighter sides like a green salad, fruit salad, crudite tray, or chips. Even a pasta salad, coleslaw or broccoli salad makes a delicious pairing.
Start with cooked and cooled chicken whether you grill, roast, or poach it or use a rotisserie chicken. Next, remove the meat from the bone if needed, then chop or shred it into bite-sized pieces depending on your preference.
As long as it hasn’t been left out at room temperature for over 2 hours, it’s safe to keep any leftover chicken salad covered in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.
You can also freeze chicken salad, but remove the grapes first. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Defrost overnight in the refrigerator and stir well before serving to incorporate any juices that have separated from the dressing. You may add in some fresh grapes at this time if desired.
You May Also Like:
- Asian Chicken Cranberry Salad from Reluctant Entertainer
- Lobster Salad from Savory Experiments
- Brie, Jam and Salami Sandwich
- Open Faced Salmon Sandwiches
- Croque Monsieur
- Tuna Cranberry Pecan Salad Sandwich
- Ditch the bun and serve a Chicken Stuffed Avocado! (keto-friendly)
- More Easy Chicken Recipes
- More Sandwich Recipes
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise (I use Hellmann's)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Freshly ground black pepper (1/8-1/4 teaspoon)
- 1 pound cooked chicken breast, chopped
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup halved grapes (red or green seedless)
- 1/3 cup dried cherries
- In a medium bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream, salt and lemon juice. Add pepper to taste.
- Stir in chicken, celery, pecans and dried cherries.
- Serve over lettuce or on a bun or croissant.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 510Total Fat: 32gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 116mgSodium: 803mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 1gSugar: 13gProtein: 37g