Flank Steak Roulades with Spinach, Mushrooms, Provolone are made with a lean beef filet, butterflied and stuffed with spinach, mushrooms, and provolone cheese, then rolled and oven cooked to perfection. We marinate and grill flank steak all summer long, but when snow is covering the grill, this recipe for Flank Steak Roulades is a delectable dinner idea!
Flank Steak Roulades
Winter has arrived in full force and stews, soups and pastas have been on the menu. Flank steak is more of a summer, toss on the grill kind of entree, but there was one in the freezer begging to be cooked. I had made a spinach and mushroom filled flank steak for company eons ago, and memories of that delicious entree got the wheels turning. That recipe was long gone, but I took some of what I remembered and created these flank steak roulades filled with spinach, mushrooms and Provolone cheese.
Tips for Filling and Rolling Flank Steak
- In order to have enough surface area to spread out the filling, you’ll need to do a little technique, known as butterflying, to the flank steak. Basically, you cut the the meat open like a book, doubling its size.
- Let me explain how. First, you place the meat on a cutting board with the narrower end closest to you. From one of the longer sides, cut through the middle of the steak, horizontally, but don’t cut all the way through. Stop about 1/2-inch from the edge, then fold open the meat like a book. You can use a meat mallet to gently pound the meat to a uniform level.
- From there, add the filling, roll up the steak, tie with butcher’s twine at 2-inch intervals and roast!
Lean Beef Recipes
Today, the Sunday Supper crew is sharing lean and healthy beef recipes. Flank steak is one of our favorite cuts of beef and the carnivores in the house were thrilled with this recipe. Thanks to Sarah from Chef Next Door for hosting our group this week! Serve a couple slices of this flank steak roulade with roasted vegetables and you have yourself one magnificent meal!
Appetizers, Soups, and Salads
- Baked Kibbeh with Yogurt Sauce by Food Lust People Love
- Italian Wedding Soup by Hardly A Goddess
- Lighter Tex-Mex Albondigas Soup by The Weekend Gourmet
- Spaghetti and Meatball Soup by Cricket’s Confections
- Steak Taco Salad Wonton Cups by Caroline’s Cooking
- Thai Steak Salad with Noodles by Positively Stacey
- Warm Steak Salad by Food Done Light
Lean Ground Beef Recipes
- Cheeseburger Stew by Our Good Life
- Cheesesteak Bruschetta by The Food Hunter’s Guide to Cuisine
- Clean Eating Sloppy Joes by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Old Fashioned Porcupine Meatballs by Turnips 2 Tangerines
- Shepherd’s Pie by Simple and Savory
- Smothered Hamburger Steaks by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Spaghetti Squash with Chili by Recipes Food and Cooking
- BBQ Filet Beef Tips by The Freshman Cook
- Beef Broccoli Pasta by Wholistic Woman
- Beef Ddukboki (Non-Spicy Sautéed Korean Rice Cakes) by kimchi MOM
- Beef Steak Fajitas by Asian In America
- Beef Vegetable Stir-Fry by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Black Pepper Beef with Broccoli and Noodles by Sunday Supper Movement
- Easy Sriracha Beef Cauliflower Rice Bowls by Family Foodie
- Skinny Beef Enchiladas with Creamy Avocado Sauce by Mindy’s Cooking Obsession
Sandwiches and Wraps
- Asian Steak Lettuce Wraps by The Chef Next Door
- My Big Lean Greek Beef Wrap by Go Epicurista
- Slow Cooker Tuscan French Dips by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- Spicy Beef Lettuce Wraps by Pies and Plots
- Spicy Beef Tacos by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Steak and Eggs Wraps by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Baked Chicken Fried Steak by Dizzy Busy and Hungry
- Chile Lime Flank Steak Tacos by The Redhead Baker
- Filet Mignon with Roasted Vegetable Salad by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Flank Steak Roulades with Spinach, Mushrooms, Provolone by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Flank Steak with Chimichurri by Monica’s Table
- Roasted Garlic Sirloin Steak with Rosemary by Cooking Chat
- Swiss Steak by Palatable Pastime
Kitchen Tools I Use When Making Flank Steak Roulades:
- Calphalon Contemporary Hard Anodized Nonstick 16-Inch Roasting Pan with Rack
- J.A. Henckels International CLASSIC 8″ Chef’s Knife
Flank Steak Roulades
Butterflied flank steak is filled with spinach and mushrooms and rolled before roasting.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 4-6 servings depending on size of flank steak 1x
- Category: Entree, Beef
- Method: Rolling, Roasting
- Cuisine: American
- 1 flank steak, butterflied
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 1 small shallot minced
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 6–8 ounces slice Provolone cheese
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- Have the butcher butterfly your flank steak or do it yourself at home (slice steak horizontally almost all the way through so you can open it like a book. Pound gently with a meat mallet to make it all a similar thickness). Sprinkle each side generously with salt and pepper or your favorite seasoning salt. Set aside
- Heat oil in a saute pan, then add mushrooms, shallots and thyme. Sprinkle with salt. Cook until mushrooms and shallots are soft. Add spinach and cook until wilted. Let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350º.
- Lay the beef flat with the grain running from left to right. Lay the Provolone over the beef, leaving a one inch border. Arrange the spinach mixture over the Provolone. Roll up the steak away from you and tie it at 2-inch intervals with butcher’s twine.
- Place in a greased baking dish or on a rack in a roasting pan. Roast for 45 minutes to 1 hour until the internal temperature is about 130º for medium rare or your desired temperature. Remove from oven and cover with foil. Let rest 10 minutes before slicing.