Easy Pot Roast Recipe
A comforting, easy pot roast is the perfect cool-weather comfort food recipe for your dinner menu and it’s absolutely delicious. It’s a hearty dish the whole family will love!
This Oven Baked Chuck Roast Recipe cooks slowly in the oven, where the flavors meld and the meat falls apart as grows more and more tender.
Easy Pot Roast in Oven
The aroma of slow-cooked beef, red wine, and herbs can brighten up even the dreariest day. This pot roast recipe only requires a brief browning on the stovetop before the majority of the ingredients are added to the pot. A few hours in the oven and dinner is served with very little hands-on time. I added some carrots and new potatoes to the mix during the last hour of cooking so they can cook up in the flavorful juices.
Pomì organic tomatoes for the perfect pot roast!
If you’re like me, you want to feed your family only the healthiest ingredients. Organic, BPA free, grass-fed are all labels I look for when grocery shopping. A number of years ago, I learned that Pomì Tomatoes’ unique boxed packaging was BPA free. They quickly became my go-to brand of “canned” tomatoes.
Chuck Roast Pot Roast
They work perfectly in any recipe that uses tomatoes, like my Thyme Kissed Tomato Soup Recipe and this chuck roast pot roast. Pomì tomatoes hail from Parma in Italy and have the fresh flavor of Italian tomatoes. Perfect for any recipe calling for canned tomatoes. I love using them for my salsa and pasta sauces, as well as this easy oven cooked pot roast. Pomì has just launched their organic line, so look for them in your local markets.
Chuck roast is the perfect cut of beef for pot roast. In order to break down the connective tissue and become fall-apart tender, a chuck roast must be cooked low and slow. It’s a very flavorful cut, but not one you’d want to serve grilled or sauteed.
PRO-Tip: Like salt, alcohol is a flavor enhancer. So adding red wine will boost the flavor and most of the alcohol will evaporate in the cooking process.
A couple of things you might need to make this oven-baked chuck roast recipe (affiliate links):
More Beef Recipes You’ll Love:
- Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff from The Taylor House
- Pot Roast with Mushrooms, Tomatoes and Red Wine
- Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
- Teriyaki Beef Kabobs
- Cuban Shredded Beef
- Beef Barley Soup
- More Main Course Recipes
- More Easy Beef Recipes
Easy Pot Roast
A simple, delicious pot roast recipe where the oven does most of the work!
- 3 pound chuck roast, large pieces of fat trimmed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves (you may want to wrap them in cheesecloth for easy retrieval)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 box Pomì Organic Chopped Tomatoes and juice (26.46 ounces)
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 pounds small red potatoes, larger ones may be sliced in half
- Preheat oven to 350º. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven. Season the beef with salt and pepper and sear both sides, until well browned. Remove from heat.
- Add beef broth, red wine, cloves, bay leaves, thyme, Pomì tomatoes, and sliced onions. Place lid on Dutch oven and cook for 2 hours.
- Add carrots and potatoes and cook for another hour or until vegetables are tender.
- Shred beef into large chunks, discarding any visible fat. Remove bay leaves and cloves. Serve beef, carrots and potatoes topped with pan juices.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 860Total Fat: 42gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 2gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 188mgSodium: 1136mgCarbohydrates: 52gFiber: 8gSugar: 14gProtein: 62g
Calories calculated before fat removal.
27 Comments on “Easy Pot Roast Recipe”
Such a delicious and easy pot roast! This quickly became a favorite at my house!
Sometimes I just need a cozy, solid, comfort food recipe, and this is perfection! The flavors are incredible and it was really easy to put together. Great recipe!
Yummy photos. Looks delicious. I will cook this for my family.
Yummy yummy yummy! Definitely one of the top comfort foods, this meal is excellent for any Sunday meal with the family or friends, right? We can’t wait to try your version, we’re already drooling over your photos Liz!:)
Sending you lots and lots of sunshine from Athens!
Panos and Mirella
Mmm, this is my kind of meal!
Products from nonGMO countries like Italy always get my vote. Your pot roast looks perfect for warming up after a wintery day =)
Pot roasts are supposed to be easy and delicious – I love this!