A comforting, easy pot roast is the perfect cool weather comfort food recipe for your dinner menu.
Easy Pot Roast
The aroma of slow cooked beef, red wine and herbs can brighten up even the dreariest day. This easy pot roast recipe only requires a brief browning on the stove top before the majority of the ingredients are added to the pot. A few hours in the oven and dinner is served with very little hands on time. I added some carrots and new potatoes to the mix during the last hour of cooking so they can cook up in the flavorful juices.
Pomì organic tomatoes for the perfect pot roast!
If you’re like me, you want to feed your family only the healthiest ingredients. Organic, BPA free, grass fed are all labels I look for when grocery shopping. A number of years ago, I learned that Pomì Tomatoes’ unique boxed packaging was BPA free. They quickly became my go-to brand of “canned” tomatoes.
A couple of things you might need to make this easy pot roast recipe:
- 3 pound chuck roast, large pieces of fat trimmed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves (you may want to wrap them in cheesecloth for easy retrieval)
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 box Pomì Organic Chopped Tomatoes and juice (26.46 ounces)
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 pounds carrots, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 2 pounds small red potatoes, larger ones may be sliced in half
- Preheat oven to 350º. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven. Season the beef with salt and pepper and sear both sides, until well browned. Remove from heat.
- Add beef broth, red wine, cloves, bay leaves, thyme, Pomì tomatoes, and sliced onions. Place lid on Dutch oven and cook for 2 hours.
- Add carrots and potatoes and cook for another hour or until vegetables are tender.
- Shred beef into large chunks, discarding any visible fat. Remove bay leaves and cloves. Serve beef, carrots and potatoes topped with pan juices.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 860 Total Fat: 42g Saturated Fat: 16g Trans Fat: 2g Unsaturated Fat: 24g Cholesterol: 188mg Sodium: 1136mg Carbohydrates: 52g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 14g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 62g