Best Confetti Cake
Confetti Cake is perfect for a celebration! It’s chock full of sprinkles and ready to party! Three layers of moist Sprinkle Cake with plenty of rich cream cheese frosting makes a dreamy birthday cake.
This Funfetti Cake starts with a moist and tender white cake, but the addition of rainbow sprinkles creates the illusion of confetti when you remove the first slice!
Why You Must Make
- This festive Confetti Layer Cake is the epitome of a celebratory dessert.
- With rainbow sprinkles in the batter and donning the frosting, this stacked layer cake shouts “PARTY!” Both components of this exquisite cake were noteworthy and got rave reviews.
- It’s the perfect birthday cake!
- Don’t skimp on the time needed to cream the butter and sugar. A full 5 minutes will result in the best texture.
- Buttermilk makes this cake tender and moist. PRO-Tip: You can always make your own “buttermilk” at home if you are in a pinch. Just put 1 tablespoon of lemon juice or a neutral tasking vinegar in a liquid measuring cup, then fill it to the one cup mark with milk. Let sit for a few minutes, stir and use as directed. You’ll need to make a batch and a half for this cake recipe.
- Make sure to check each of the 3 cakes for doneness. Just one of mine needed a few extra minutes.
- For a more professional look, use a serrated knife to remove a thin slice off the top of any cake that’s not flat. Place that side cut side of the cake face down when you’re frosting as it will have lots of loose crumbs.
- Purchase jimmies that won’t bleed for the best resemblance to confetti.
- Use a more traditional vanilla frosting if you prefer. Remember a 3 layer cake will need more frosting than your typical layer cake. Chocolate frosting works well, too.
Frequently Asked Questions
Funfetti or Confetti Cakes are Vanilla Cakes with colorful, rainbow sprinkles mixed into the batter before baking. It’s also known as a Sprinkle Cake.
Pillsbury trademarked the term “Funfetti”. It’s Pillsbury’s version of a Confetti Cake.
You want sprinkles that do not bleed. Rainbow Sprinkles/Jimmies work well. Do not use nonpareils (the little round balls) as they will streak the batter.
While the frosting is still fresh, take a handful of the sprinkles and gently press them onto the sides of the cake, letting the excess fall onto the cake plate. Keep repeating until the sides are covered. Remove extra sprinkles from the plate and save any that are free from frosting for another recipe.
You May Also Like:
- Mini Funfetti Cheesecakes from Homemade in the Kitchen
- The Best Chocolate Layer Cake
- Chocolate Layer Cake filled with White Chocolate Ganache
- Yellow Butter Cake with Fudgy Chocolate Icing
- Classic White Cake
- Lemon Layer Cake
- Cheesecake Filled Chocolate Cake
- Plus, if you love sprinkles, check out my Rainbow Sprinkles Cookies!
- Plus, more of my Best Cake Recipes
Festive Confetti Layer Cake
For a special occasion, add some sprinkles to a white cake batter and, voila, it's transformed into a Festive Confetti Layer Cake!
- 3 3/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups butter, at room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup rainbow sprinkles (plus more to garnish cake)
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 16 ounces Cream Cheese, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup butter, at room temperature
- 6 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Rainbow sprinkles to garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray three 9-inch, round cake pans with an oil and flour spray like Baker's Joy. Line the bottoms of the pans with parchment rounds and spray the tops. Set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In your stand mixer with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on high until creamy. Add the sugar and beat on high for about 5 minutes.
- Add one of the whole eggs, beating until incorporated, then repeat with the remaining whole eggs one at a time, until well incorporated. Add the vanilla and mix until combined.
- With the mixer on low, alternate 1/3 of the flour mixture with half the buttermilk, then another 1/2 of the flour mixture, and the rest of the buttermilk. Finally, mix in the late of the flour mixture just until combined.
- With a hand mixer, mix the egg whites until foamy, then beat until soft peaks form. Carefully fold the whipped egg whites into the batter. Then mix in the sprinkles.
- Divide the batter evenly between the 3 baking pans. Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Cool completely on wire racks. Frost when layers are completely cooled.
To Make Frosting:
- Cream together cream cheese and butter in a large mixing bowl. Slowly add in the powdered sugar, beating until incorporated. Mix in vanilla.
- To frost the cakes, place one layer on a serving dish and cover it with frosting. Add the second layer and cover it with frosting. And the top layer and frost the top and the sides. Press sprinkles onto the sides if desired while the frosting is still fresh.
Cake adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction. Frosting adapted from The Silver Palate.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1133Total Fat: 75gSaturated Fat: 33gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 39gCholesterol: 201mgSodium: 467mgCarbohydrates: 105gFiber: 2gSugar: 65gProtein: 10g
Confetti Cake circa 2016
55 Comments on “Best Confetti Cake”
This is the perfect cake for any party! We can’t get enough of it!
I rarely use sprinkles in my cooking (just not a huge fan, I guess), but I must admit this cake looks splendid, delicious, and most importantly, festive. So much fun indeed!
Wow! This cookbook is awesome. Glad someone finally did it. I would love to have my nephews over and have them customize mini cakes! (The vanilla malted frosting sounds sooooo good!)
I wouldn’t need a special occasion for this cake I would make it just because and then make it again.
this cake is just pure…HAPPINESS 🙂
Wow, this is gorgeous! Definitely a party on a plate 🙂 And MALTED vanilla frosting??!! Sounds just dreamy, Liz. YUM!
Love to win this cookbook ???? And the funfetti vanilla cake may be perfect for my great-niece’s 1st birthday!
Do I need a special occasion to make cakes? I don’t think so! ☺️ However, with kids’ school starting soon, I will make one to celebrate that! Thanks for the giveaway!
I would bake this cake for my son & daughter-in-law’s up coming anniversary.
The special occasion that I would make magical, with a recipe from the Cake Magic! cookbook, is my mom’s 65th birthday. The Vanilla Cake or this Confetti Cake recipe would be perfect.
Wow, this is like a fairytale on a plate, love it! Must be yummy:)
Love this confetti cake Lizzy look amazing and beautiful 🙂
I’m looking forward to making this cake. The vanilla syrup and the Vanilla Malted Icing sounds enticing.
This looks amazing! I can’t wait to try it.
Sounds like a good cookbook for lovely ideas. Your cake is gorgeous…so clever!