Chocolate Cream Pie or Chocolate Pudding Pie will tantalize your taste buds with rich chocolate pudding in a pastry crust topped with whipped cream!
Chocolate Cream Pie
My family loves pudding. So it’s not a big jump to assume that they are fans of cream pies, especially a chocolate cream pie. Cream pies are essentially homemade pudding piled into a pie crust and topped with whipped cream.
When I married Bill, I knew he had certain food standards. For example, no instant pudding, but the box labeled cook and serve was quite acceptable. Quite the gourmet, wouldn’t you say?
Chocolate Pudding Pie
His firstborn (and mine) loved pudding cups when he was a wee one. In fact, one night his uncle was babysitting or maybe being held captive by a toddler would be phrasing it more accurately. No diaper changing was allowed, just playtime. And “puddy.”
Well past his bedtime, little Tommy starting slapping both hands on the fridge, chanting, “puddy, puddy, puddy.” Of course, his doting uncle gave in without much of a fight, and Bill and I returned home to see the little night owl with a telltale chocolate mustache.
So, as you can imagine, there was no complaining when this chocolate cream pie AKA chocolate pudding pie was part of our Thanksgiving meal. Quizzing the family on whether this was better than the previously posted Chocolate Satin Pie or our old standby, French Silk Pie, I was told there was no way to compare. They were all sublime.
I’ll get a better hold on their rankings when Christmas rolls around and I find out which one they request. Just know you won’t go wrong with any of the three.
Note: I used a deep-dish pie plate and my pie could have used more filling. I’d recommend a standard-sized pie plate for this recipe.
More Pudding Recipes You’ll Love:
- Vanilla Pudding Fruit Salad from Big Bear’s Wife
- Fresh Peach Pudding Recipe from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- No Bake Banana Pudding Dream Dessert from Crazy for Crust
- Vanilla Pudding with Caramel Apples from That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- How to make Chocolate Pudding from Fifteen Spatulas
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dark rum
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 9-inch pie crust of your choice
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dark rum
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Whisk the sugar, cornstarch, cocoa powder and salt together in a a medium saucepan. Whisk in egg yolks till well combined. Slowly whisk in milk, then cream, and continue to whisk and cook over medium high heat. Once the mixture comes to a boil, cook and stir for one more minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate. Whisk till smooth. Add rum and vanilla. Let rest about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, then pour into baked pie crust.
- Chill till cold, at least two hours.
- Beat together topping ingredients till mixture comes to firm peaks. Pile onto middle of pie or use a star tip and pipe whipped cream over top of pie. Garnish as desired with berries or chocolate curls.
Adapted from Bon Appetit.
Total time does not include chilling time.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 528Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 18gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 194mgSodium: 156mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 2gSugar: 37gProtein: 8g