This Chocolate Angel Pie is worthy of a special occasion! The melt in your mouth meringue crust is filled with a luscious chocolate cream!
My husband’s aunt was a terrific cook. She made this dreamy Chocolate Cream Pie with a Meringue Crust for us as newlyweds and I was delighted to add the recipe to my collection!
Chocolate Angel Pie
It is one of our holiday traditions to have a chocolate pie (are you surprised?) at Thanksgiving along with pumpkin. This pie would work equally well as a Christmas dessert with its heavenly meringue crust and creamy chocolate filling. Bill’s Aunt Alice would make this chocolate delight when we dined at her house…she’d always have a homemade dessert…and her pies were outstanding. And I’d go home with a recipe card in my purse that would soon become splattered from overuse.
The kids don’t remember ever having this pie. I guess I need to go through my old fashioned recipe box and pull out some more treasured dishes and share the memories along with the recipe.
More Holiday Desserts
Christmas Apple Pie from Kim of Cravings of a Lunatic
Grasshopper Pie from Erin of Dinners, Dishes and Desserts
Cranberry Fritters from Erin of The Spiffy Cookie
More Dessert Recipes
PRO-Tip: Your bowl and beaters must be scrupulously clean when beating egg whites. Any oil will prevent the whites from reaching stiff peaks. You will also get more volume from your egg whites if they are at room temperature.
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 4-ounce package Baker’s German Sweet Chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream, whipped
- Whipping cream, to garnish
- Preheat oven to 300º. Lightly grease 8 or 9-inch pie plate and set aside.
- Beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar till foamy. Add 2 tablespoons of sugar at a time, beating well after each addition. Continue beating to very stiff peaks. Fold in vanilla.
- Spoon into prepared pie plate to form a nest-like shell. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Cool.
- Melt chocolate with water in microwave till smooth. Cool to room temperature and add vanilla. Fold in whipped cream and spread filling in the cooled meringue shell. Let chill at least 2 hours before serving. Top with whipped cream to serve.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245 Total Fat: 16g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 5g Cholesterol: 41mg Sodium: 66mg Carbohydrates: 22g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 21g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g