Easy Marshmallow Popcorn Balls are an irresistible and simple way to celebrate Jolly Time’s 100th anniversary! So let’s have a party!
Easy Marshmallow Popcorn Balls
When I was growing up, we didn’t fiddle with candy thermometers when it came to making sweets. My mom wasn’t one to mess with homemade toffee or divinity. But she had no trouble letting us melt marshmallows and butter to make Rice Krispie treats or these irresistible, super easy marshmallow popcorn balls.
Popcorn balls could be made with a hot sugar syrup, which would harden to the proper consistency if cooked to the ideal candy temperature whether that was hard crack, soft crack or some other crack. We’d rather get it right the first time, so the easy route it was.
Celebrating 100 Years of Popcorn!
When Jolly Time sent me a box of their “Kinda Sweet, Kinda Salty” microwave Kettle Mania popcorn, all I could think of were those sweet, chewy popcorn balls of my childhood. So I quickly melted some marshmallows and butter in the microwave, which wasn’t an option when I was a teen (yikes, I’m OLD).
In a matter of minutes, I had popped two bags of popcorn and was tossing and coating the kernels in marshmallow goodness. I shaped the balls with buttered hands and dipped them in sprinkles. It was for a celebration after all. Did you know that it’s Jolly Time’s 100th anniversary? So get with the program, everyone, and pop up a batch of corn.
Whether sweet or salty or both, please enjoy a treat that’s been around for more than a century! And if you’re so inclined a batch of these festive popcorn balls is also a wonderful way to celebrate!
Things you may need for this recipe:
Marshmallow Popcorn Balls
A simple popcorn treat that’s great for all ages!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: varies
- Category: Dessert, Snacks
- Method: Mixing
- Cuisine: American
- 2 bags Jolly Time microwave popcorn, popped
- 30 large marshmallows
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Sprinkles, to decorate, optional
- Pop popcorn according to instructions on bag. Pour popped corn into a large bowl, removing any unpopped kernels.
- In another large microwave safe bowl, melt marshmallows and butter by heating for 30 second increments, stopping and stirring till melted. Stir till butter mixes with marshmallows. Add vanilla and mix. Add popcorn and gently stir till all the popcorn is well coated.
- With buttered hands, press popcorn into well packed balls. Dip in sprinkles if desired and press gently till sprinkles adhere.