These versatile Vanilla Almonds are coated with sugary goodness and perfect for holiday and hostess gifts or just a splendid snack food!
Serve Candied Almonds with cocktails, on game day or use in salads for some delicious crunch! You’ll love this versatile recipe.
Apparently there was a running joke on my mom’s side of the family when Christmas would roll around. One year, my dad raved about the smokehouse almonds my grandfather shared with us on one of our annual visits to North Dakota. From then on, all family members got a gallon-sized tin of said nuts. Year after year. So when I knew my aunt and uncle were going to accompany us on our RV adventure across America (well, maybe just 3 states…but Nebraska has to count as at least 1 1/2!), I knew I had to bring some almonds along. Sweet, crunchy almonds flavored with a nice dose of vanilla and cinnamon. These Vanilla Almonds are crack in nut form. Truly irresistible!!!
Tips for Making Candied Almonds
These candied vanilla almonds are so simple to whip up. There’s no excuse not to give them a whirl! Here are a few tips to help you make these vanilla almonds:
- This recipe can easily be doubled, but you may need some extra baking sheets. I like using rimmed quarter sheet pans so that the nuts are contained.
- These candied almonds make terrific gifts. I gave them to my book club for Christmas this year.
- I used my stand mixer to make a double batch. The large bowl made it easy to coat the almonds in the whipped egg whites.
- Make sure your bowl and beaters are super clean as any bit of oil or grease will prevent the egg whites from whipping properly.
- Spread the almonds on a foil-lined baking sheet as they will adhere to the pan, and be hard to remove if you omit this step.
- Make sure each almond is separated from the others as you place them on the baking sheet unless you prefer clumps of almonds.
- Stir and release the almonds from the foil at the halfway mark. Flipping them will ensure both sides get browned.
- If giving as gifts, it’s easy to scoop the cooled nuts into cellophane bags and tie with a pretty ribbon.
How Do You Store Candied Nuts?
Once your almonds are cooled, store them at room temperature in a sealed container. They will stay fresh for up to a month.
You can also store your spiced nuts in the freezer in a Ziploc freezer bag. Remove as much air as possible to minimize any condensation as they defrost. They will keep fresh for 3 months or longer.
Are Candied Almonds Gluten-Free?
This simple recipe for vanilla almonds is gluten-free. Almonds, Egg Whites, Sugar, Salt, Cinnamon, and Vanilla are all gluten-free. There may be recipes for or packages of candied nuts that have ingredients that contain gluten. Always read the labels or inquire about the recipe if this is a concern.
Can I Make These Candied Nuts with Other Nuts?
Yes, you can use any of your favorite nuts or even use mixed nuts. Just use the same measurement of your nut selection as the almonds in the recipe.
More Snack Foods You’ll Love:
- How to Make Homemade Sweet and Salty Trail Mix from Neighborfood
- Orange Spiced Cashews from Hip Foodie Mom
- Spicy Sugared Cashews
- Easy Oreo Truffles
- White Chocolate Monster Munch
- Marshmallow Popcorn Balls
- More Snack Recipes
This recipe was first shared in September 2013. The text and photos were updated in 2019.
- 2 egg whites, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 4 cups unblanched almonds
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 300º.
- In a large bowl, beat egg whites till frothy. Mix in vanilla, then toss in almonds. Stir gently to coat.
- In another bowl, combine the sugars, salt, and cinnamon. Add to nuts and gently toss to cover almonds.
- Spread evenly into two foil-covered sheet pans.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, stirring halfway through cooking time.
- Allow to cool, then store in an airtight container.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
- Smithcraft Stainless Steel Measuring Cups Set 18/8(304) Steel Material Heavy Duty Measuring Cups Set of 8 Pack for Baking and Kitchen gadget
- KitchenAid KHM926CA 9-Speed Digital Hand Mixer with Turbo Beater II Accessories and Pro Whisk - Candy Apple Red
- USA Pan Bakeware Half Sheet Pan, Warp Resistant Nonstick Baking Pan, Made in the USA from Aluminized Steel - 1050HS
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 244 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 16g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 312mg Carbohydrates: 15g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 10g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 8g