A crunchy sweet coating plus a touch of heat, make these Spicy Sugared Cashews an irresistible snack. Plus, it’s now an award-winning recipe!
Spicy Sugared Cashews
I attended Eat Write Retreat, a food bloggers’ conference, last month in North Hollywood. Hosted in a retro hotel, the weather was delightful and it was a blast to hang out with some talented bloggers for 2+ days. One of the events was a food swap and my contribution was two flavors of Spicy Sugared Cashews: one batch with cinnamon and one with rosemary. Both had a touch of heat from some cayenne pepper. These actually won 3rd place out of all the participants–and my prize package includes a year’s supply of pasteurized eggs AND a cheese knife. Not too shabby!!
Healthier Snack Food
Nuts are superfoods! Full of protein, good fats, antioxidants, and minerals, they are a terrific, healthy munchie. I coated these cashews in whisked egg whites then tossed them in a sugar mixture flavored with cayenne pepper, salt, and either cinnamon or chopped fresh rosemary. I saved my swap treats for my airport snacks, except for the doggy treats for Izzy, but I quickly got rave reviews from those who couldn’t wait to dive in. Make these for your next gathering or pin this recipe for holiday gift-giving for your nutty friends!
How to Make Candied Nuts
Candied nuts are a fabulous food gift, game day or cocktail snack. They’re simple to make once you master your initial attempt!
- First, whip your egg whites and water until foamy. Do not over whip to a white meringue-like texture.
- Next, toss your nuts in the egg white mixture to coat.
- Then, toss in your seasoned sugar mixture.
- Spread your nuts evenly across a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake, stirring every 15 minutes to help them roast evenly.
- Cool and dig in!!
More Nutty Recipes You’ll Love:
- Microwave Peanut Brittle from Cake Whiz
- Peanut Butter Truffle Brownies
- Noel Nut Balls
- Peanut Butter Cookies
- Vanilla Almonds
- Chocolate Peanut Butter No-Bake Cookies
- More Snack Recipes
- 1 egg white, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons water
- 3 cups cashews, roasted (if you use lightly salted nuts, decrease the salt in the recipe)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon OR
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven to 300º. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In your stand mixer (may be done with a hand mixer or whisk), beat egg white and water till foamy (you do not want the whites to get white like when making meringues).
- Add the cashews and mix till they're well coated.
- Add sugar, brown sugar, cayenne, and salt. Stir. Add in your extra ingredient, either the cinnamon or rosemary and mix well.
- Spread evenly over your prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes till browned. May cook more or less, just watch carefully to prevent burning.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely, even overnight. Store in a covered container.
Adapted from Averie Cooks and Ina Garten.
Serving Size:1/4 cup
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 246Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 401mgCarbohydrates: 24gFiber: 1gSugar: 14gProtein: 6g