I schlepped these addicting Spicy Sugared Cashews to a food blog swap in Los Angeles last month. A crunchy sweet coating plus a touch of heat, make these gems an irresistible snack.
Spicy Sugared Cashews
I attended Eat Write Retreat, a food bloggers’ conference, last month in North Hollywood. Hosted in a retro hotel, the weather was delightful and it was a blast to hang out with some talented bloggers for 2+ days. One of the events was a food swap and my contribution was two flavors of Spicy Sugared Cashews: one batch with cinnamon and one with rosemary. Both had a touch of heat from some cayenne pepper. These actually won 3rd place out of all the participants–and my prize package includes a year’s supply of pasteurized eggs AND a cheese knife. Not too shabby!!
Perfect Snack Food
Nuts are super foods! Full of protein, good fats, antioxidants, and minerals, they are a terrific, healthy munchie. I coated these cashews in whisked egg whites then tossed them in a sugar mixture flavored with cayenne pepper, salt, and either cinnamon or chopped fresh rosemary. I saved my swap treats for my airport snacks, except for the doggy treats for Izzy, but I quickly got rave reviews from those who couldn’t wait to dive in. Make these for your next gathering or pin this recipe for holiday gift giving for your nutty friends!
- Buffalo Chicken Spring Rolls by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cajun Shrimp Dip byCooking with Carlee
- Harissa Lamb Meatballs with Herbed Yogurt Dipping Sauce by The Hungry Goddess
- Spicy Apricot Chicken Meatballs by My Life Cookbook
- Spicy Jalapeno Chickpeas by Helpful Homemade
- Spicy Peach Chicken Wings by Eat, Drink and be Tracy
- Spicy Sugared Cashews by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Chipotle Peanut Butter Cookies by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Cinnamon Rolls by The Freshman Cook
- Mexican Chocolate Pudding by Pies and Plots
- Spicy Fudge Brownies by The Chef Next Door
- Spicy Mexican Hot Chocolate Fudge by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Buffalo Chicken & Lentil Stuffed Peppers by Momma’s Meals
- Chicken Karahi (Pakistani Chicken Curry) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Chicken Stuffed Poblano Peppers by Feeding Big and more
- Chickpea, lentil and spinach curry by Caroline’s Cooking
- Ddukboki (Spicy Stir Fried Rice Cakes) by kimchi MOM
- East Indian Chard and Lentils by Wholistic Woman
- Fried Chicken with a Kick by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Grilled Chipotle Pork Chops by Cooking Chat
- Hella-peno Burger by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Jalapeno Popper Pizza by Hardly A Goddess
- Lomo Saltado by Tramplingrose
- Spicy black bean burgers by Simple and Savory
- Spicy Penne all’arrabbiata by She Loves Biscotti
- Sweet & Spicy Pulled Pork Tacos by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Sweet Chili Pork by Cookin’ Mimi
- Baked Sriracha Sweet Potato Fries by Magnolia Days
- Green Mango Sambal by Food Lust People Love
- Grilled Potato Salad with Spicy Picada Sauce by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
Spicy Sugared Cashews #SundaySupper
Sugared cashews with two spicy options, cinnamon or rosemary!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 3 cups 1x
- Category: Appetizer, Snack
- 1 egg white, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons water
- 3 cups roasted cashews (if you use lightly salted nuts, decrease the salt in recipe)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4–1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon OR
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- Preheat oven to 300º. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In your stand mixer (may be done with a hand mixer or whisk), beat egg white and water till foamy (you do not want the whites to get white like when making meringues).
- Add the cashews and mix till they’re well coated.
- Add sugar, brown sugar, cayenne, and salt. Stir. Add in your extra ingredient, either the cinnamon or rosemary and mix well.
- Spread evenly over your prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes till browned. May cook more or less, just watch carefully to prevent burning.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely, even overnight. Store in a covered container.
Adapted from Averie Cooks and Ina Garten.
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.