Making big, beautiful chocolate curls to garnish a dessert can be daunting. These Chocolate Shards are super easy to create and make for an elegant, impressive presentation!
Have you tried to use a peeler and a bar of chocolate to make curls? It’s definitely hit or miss. The chocolate melts in your hand. You end up with more crumbs than curls. They aren’t nearly as impressive as you’d imagined. I DO love the Pioneer Woman’s technique. It’s definitely a more reliable method to create big beautiful dark or white chocolate curls.
But in my experience, you need about 4 ounces of chocolate to make 2 ounces of curls. Not ideal considering the cost of a chocolate bar. This recipe for chocolate shards is pretty much foolproof.
One Ingredient and a Few Simple Steps
How many recipes have just one ingredient? Well this one does. You melt some chocolate, spread it thinly over a sheet of wax paper, and top it with another sheet of wax paper. Roll it up, chill for two hours, unroll and, voila, you have chocolate shards! How can you NOT try this???
Check out my Easy Chocolate Mousse Cake. It’s the perfect base for these chocolate shards, along with this Chocolate Velvet Pie and Mocha Chocolate Chip Cookie Icebox Cake! These chocolate shards take and ordinary chocolate dessert and make it extraordinary!! Even the non-crafty like me can bake these garnishes!
An easy way to add a special touch to your chocolate desserts.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 1 min
- Total Time: 6 minutes
- Yield: Enough for one large dessert
- 4 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (I recommend a 4 ounce Ghirardelli bar instead of chocolate chips)
- Gently melt the chocolate in the microwave, stopping and stirring at 20 second intervals.
- Place a 16-inch sheet of waxed paper on a flat surface. With a small off-set spatula, spread the melted chocolate evenly over the waxed paper, leaving the edges free of chocolate. Top with a second sheet of waxed paper and very gently smooth the top.
- Roll from short side to short side and carefully place the roll on a baking sheet. Chill for 2 hours.
- To make shards, hold onto the short end of the roll and unroll with your other hand. The chocolate should break into pieces. Remove the top sheet of waxed paper and carefully (as so not to melt chocolate) move shards to the top of the dessert or to a container. Keep cool if not using immediately.
You Might Need: