My friends and children went nuts for these Caramel Stuffed Rice Krispie Treats. These are one of the gooiest bars I’ve ever made. Maybe even THE gooiest! But also, one of the most delicious and addictive.
Just have plenty of napkins or wet paper towels when you’re indulging! They are worth a few sticky fingers!
Caramel Stuffed Rice Krispie Treats
I shared these marvelous amped up caramel Rice Krispie Treats with my girlfriends, then for dessert after our Sunday night family dinner. Rave reviews all around. Before I had even typed up the recipe, I had a request for it!
No one except me cared that they were sticking to the non-stick foil and took brute strength to remove them from the pan. There was a silver lining, though, as I rather enjoyed snacking on the stuck bits as well as the thin slices I trimmed off to make the almost picture perfect squares you see in the photos! They really are tasty.
Tips for Making the Best Rice Krispie Treats
Most of us have whipped up a batch of the classic Rice Krispie Treats at least once. If you can make those, this recipe will be a breeze. Be prepared to share the recipe if you dole these out to any of your friends!
- Grease your pan well. Butter is great, but I love non-stick foil for easy cleanup. I like to spray the foil with non-stick foil for the double anti-stick protection with these sticky Caramel Stuffed Rice Krispie Treats!
- Butter your hands or spatula to help prevent the Rice Krispies from sticking as you pat them into the pan. You can also use a piece of wax paper.
- Use the proper ratio of cereal, butter and marshmallows. I’ve never had a complaint about the recipe on the back of the box. It’s stood the test of time!
- Some add a pinch or more of salt, but salted butter saves you that step!
- Use fresh, not stale marshmallows. Fresh are much easier to melt.
- Resist the urge to press down too firmly when flattening the tops of your Rice Krispie layers. This will compress the cereal and the treats will be harder to bite into and denser than desired.
If you’re like me, and swoon over caramel desserts, you may also like these Toffee Caramel Magic Cookie Bars, these Ganache Topped Caramel Bars, and this Deluxe Caramel Cheesecake! And if you need some cutting tips, check out my post on How to Slice Perfect Cookie Bars!
Two Sweetie Pies
Thanks again to my lovely friend, Danielle, for another magnificent recipe! She is my go-to blogger for decadent treats. I promise you will love whatever you try from her blog!!! We share a recipe from each other’s sites every second Monday of the month.
Check out Danielle’s take on this recipe as well as her social media sites! Plus make sure to stop by her blog and check out which of my recipes she made this month, too. And make sure to add these Caramel Stuffed Rice Krispie Treats to your “baking” list.
- 14 ounces Kraft caramels, unwrapped (the bags are now 11 ounces so I used one bag plus 11 more caramels)
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 12 tablespoons butter, divided
- 10 cups Rice Krispies, divided
- 8 cups mini marshmallows, divided
- Additional 2 cups mini marshmallows to top the caramel layer
Line 9 x 13 pan with nonstick foil, then spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray (these sticky bars need both!)
In a large microwave safe bowl, microwave the caramels, butter and condensed milk until melted and smooth when stirred.
In another large bowl, microwave half the butter and half the marshmallows ( 6 tablespoons butter and 4 cups marshmallows) just a minute and stir until melted. Stir in half the cereal (5 cups) and press evenly into the prepared pan.
Pour on the caramel and spread evenly. Sprinkle the top with the additional 2 cups marshmallows and freeze for 15 minutes.
Use the remaining butter, cereal and marshmallows and repeat the directions.
Press this layer on top of the marshmallows and caramel layer and return to the freezer for 15 minutes, then chill for a few more hours or overnight.
Cut into big squares to serve.
Adapted from Hugs and Cookies XOXO.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 333 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 34mg Sodium: 228mg Carbohydrates: 53g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 37g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 4g